Road trip distance?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Another shot(drive) to the horrible TX state :p

Visiting the mom since she is going on her mid winter vacation...

1.000 miles in one tank because I was going faster than normal :( ,very STRONG crosswinds on the way down "just" in front of this cold front that has the nation stopped in its tracks.
Barreling sideways to the wind :eek: , and feeling(a lot) the push of the big trucks as they passed my "QUASI-aerodynamic", shoe box... :eek: !

Hmmmm, so far:
VW-1
repairs-0

Ha! another GREAT road trip!
1,000 miles?! Were you keeping to 50 mph?

Reactions: Ton

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Haven't for years since I got left my road job, But it was pretty normal to drive anywhere east of the Mississippi River. Many times I've had work in New York one day, then turn around,head to Georgia or further south. Even out in the family ranch in Montana, a 2 hour drive get you to the closest town. Doesn't much bother me. Anymore though a 2 hour trip would be pretty long.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Went from Eastern CT to Burlington VT for some leaf peeping last weekend. Got rained out, but atleast it was a fun 2 day trip with the gf

Managed 570 miles, one tank, hit the fuel light 5 miles from home. 42mpg hand calculated at the pump
The drive home is what burned the most fuel, it was pouring buckets of rain and it trashed my MPG

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just finished a 3600+ mile trip from my home in Florida to Los Algodones. It is a little border town about 8 miles west of Yuma, AZ. In spite of being such a small town, it has far more dentists per capita than any other place in the world. In fact, it was done for just that purpose. They even have a clorinated water supply, and 300+ dentists within a short walk of the border.

The upshot is that even though the cheapest diesel on my whole trip was in San Antonio, I would recommend avoiding a trip going through that city if there is any way possible to avoid the area. There is simply no way to get there from here; it is under construction. And if you are following I-10 through and cannot avoid it, you'd better have a good GPS. There is a hard disconnect of I-10 in the middle of town, and every route possible is under construction. I daresay it will continue to be that way for another 5 years or so.

Anyway, other that getting my passenger side mirror cover stolen while I was asleep in my car at a rest stop (near to San Antonio!), and losing 2 tires to roadside debris left in the road, it was a long and uneventful (other than the above, of course) trip. I also found that 215-50/17 tires will cause a VW speedo to be dead on according to my GPS. And your odometer will then be a few percent pessimistic as will the mpg calculations by association.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I also found that 215-50/17 tires will cause a VW speedo to be dead on. And your odometer will then be a few percent pessimistic as will the mpg calculations by association. Cheers, PH
Ah, thanks for that long distance road trip report. I love road tripping.

When I was calibrating the Dakota Digital Interface for the Jetta Cluster I installed in my Vanagon ALH project, I set it so that the Speedometer would be like my 2000 Jetta (2 MPH slow) which put the Odometer at bout 99.5% accurate.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
well... it was time to schedule and now plan for my annual florida trip... looks like in about 7-8 months ill be making a 2,800 mile minimum round trip! it will likely be 3,000 or 3,500 with the driving around IN florida.

i expect at most 7 fill ups, i think i could get away with 6

the most tricky part this time is, i am due for a timing belt come spring / summer. at which time i will be doing my CP3 + headstuds! don't think ill do the oil coolers yet, still not sure how to get the damn engine oil cooler off the front of the block.