Road trip distance?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
With two bikes and a Thule box(?) topside, 25 MPG ain't too shabby.

My 2013 VW JSW TDI averaged 44 over the 50,000 miles I drove it. I miss it big time.

(but in all fairness VW's buyback offer was big time generous - and unexpected).

Season's best,

ez

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
I made it from Oshawa, Ontario Canada to Gurnee, Illinois on one tank of diesel in my uncle's 03 Jetta Wagon TDI (1000~ kms)

levisaleniuc

TDI
2006 jetta tdi 5MT, 2014 jetta Sportwagen 6MT, 2011 jetta Sportwagen 6MT (current)
My road trip!

This was my 2014 JSW TDI. It was a 6 speed manual, slick top on 18" Mallory wheels from a mk6 GLI. this car took me everywhere. From Washington, to Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Ohio, Arkansas, to Missouri, to Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and over into Montana where it ended its life as my road trip/camping rig when I got smashed into by a drunk driver.
We drove nearly 6,000 miles in just under 3 weeks averaging 34mpg at roughly 80mph with 18's, a huge skybox, 4 people in the car and a ton of cargo!

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
So the drunk ran you off the road? Bummer.

Looks like everybody was OK at least.

Know if it's fixable yet or have to replace it?

Sounds like a great trip minus the forced ending.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
First thought was, man that's a lot of stuff to take skiing, but then read your previous post. Surprisingly, the bikes loaded on the back probably hurt your mileage worse than those on the top. At least that's been my experience. Get that rear weight and the nose comes up enough to effect airflow.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
This was my 2014 JSW TDI. It was a 6 speed manual, slick top on 18" Mallory wheels from a mk6 GLI. this car took me everywhere. From Washington, to Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Ohio, Arkansas, to Missouri, to Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and over into Montana where it ended its life as my road trip/camping rig when I got smashed into by a drunk driver.
We drove nearly 6,000 miles in just under 3 weeks averaging 34mpg at roughly 80mph with 18's, a huge skybox, 4 people in the car and a ton of cargo!

Oh poor little rig, that could have reached great milestones of destinations.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
WV to FL and back in 3 days

In Nov 2019, I drove my 2015 GSW TDI from the eastern panhandle of WV north of Winchester VA to Punta Gorda FL 1100 miles and back with only one refill each way. 2200 miles in 3 days. Mom was ill and touch and go. All good now. Avg 55 mpg.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
I have driven from Jacksonville, NC to 29 palms California in 26 hours 2505 miles average speed 96 mph, 32 mpg in my 2005 PD golf. It was fun but taxing I was on orders and had to make a deadline I didn't have any say in the matter kinda sucked. lol

Last edited:

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Escaping California shutdown.

Left California 4 days ago before the "shelter in place" order. Speed run to Lexington NC to wait out covid-19 until we can get back to Jamaica.

Day 1-made it to Alburquerque, alternator started giving us fits in Barstow. Aaron and his amazing team got us a NOS alternator and had it shipped to meet us there--yaaa Aaron!!!

Day 2-Limped to Dallas and changed it out. Spent an extra night with friends enjoying good conversation/wine.

Day 3-Escaped Dallas right before their "shelter in place" order, made it to Nashville. Boring! Nothing open.

Day 4-Made it to Lexington NC, to sister in law's. Good night sleep. Four days on the road, not the most fun trip but a great shakedown of 2,700+ miles for the MK3 with 270k miles on the clock.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Last week Friday from Laredo, Tx to Monday, Detroit, Mi.
Absolutely no problems finding vacancies in motels. Though the ones that used to offer free continental breakfasts stopped that, coffee only except one in Ohio where the had prepackaged pastries and coffee. Diesel from a low of $ 1.99 to a high of $ 2.79 though the highest I paid was $ 2.55 gal. I found traffic was much lighter than in past years. Lots of 18 wheelers on the road.
Eating from drive thru windows and fine dining in the car, a royal PIA!

Also what gives with "No toilet paper" in stores? Are people eating that now???

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Last week Friday from Laredo, Tx to Monday, Detroit, Mi.
Absolutely no problems finding vacancies in motels. Though the ones that used to offer free continental breakfasts stopped that, coffee only except one in Ohio where the had prepackaged pastries and coffee. Diesel from a low of $ 1.99 to a high of $ 2.79 though the highest I paid was $ 2.55 gal. I found traffic was much lighter than in past years. Lots of 18 wheelers on the road.
Eating from drive thru windows and fine dining in the car, a royal PIA!

Also what gives with "No toilet paper" in stores? Are people eating that now???

Haven't you heard the adage "A roll of TP a day keeps the Coronavirus away"?

As for the traffic, there was a news report that in the Bay Area and SoCal people are taking advantage of the light traffic to speed. In the Bay Area, they ticketed at least 7 for going 100 mph including one who was going 117! Oh, he was uninsured also.

Were you able to use the restrooms in truck stops, fast food restaurants, etc.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I've done the drive from Ft. Knox KY to Providence, RI twice in the past 6 months.

I can do a leg in one stop (fuel and bathroom) about halfway across Penn. I've generally averaged about 52mpg out and 49mpg back.

about 14-15 hours each way

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done the drive from Ft. Knox KY to Providence, RI twice in the past 6 months.

I can do a leg in one stop (fuel and bathroom) about halfway across Penn. I've generally averaged about 52mpg out and 49mpg back.

about 14-15 hours each way

Sounds like my drive between Oroville, CA and Prescott, AZ.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Were you able to use the restrooms in truck stops, fast food restaurants, etc.

Only at rest areas and truck stops, restaurants and fast food joints had their doors locked.

What really got to me, everybody was washing their hands at rest areas. Then to get out you had to grab as many as THREE door handles before you were outside again, DUH?

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
And most of the rest stops don't ahve paper towels anymore. Just air dryers.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Hello all, Just got back from an 8 day trip to Silver city, NM from Jax, FL and back again 1700ish miles and 26 hours each way. Most of the restaurants you can get curbside service from, small brewery in silver city was doing walk in take out growlers and food. Did a lot of hiking and sightseeing out in nature and at the hot springs in the gila national forest. The rest stops all had hand driers where we were and yes a few had doors to go out to get out I used gloves, also at all 6 fill-ups we did on our legs of the trip. This trip was done in our b5.5 bhw chainless passat with 225k on the meter due for an oil change and a brake fluid reservoir due to cracking in the top corner. overall mpg is 34 still rocking the 5 speed auto and doing very well btw with the stage one tune kinda getting itchy for a stage 2 and exhaust mods.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And most of the rest stops don't ahve paper towels anymore. Just air dryers.
I think I'll put a packet of paper napkins in the car and put one in my pocket to use on the door handles when exiting.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, since the airport shuttle between Prescott & Phoenix shut down and cancelled my reservations, I ended up having to cancel my flights from/to Sacramento and drove down and back.

I left Oroville, CA at 4:00 AM on 9 April and drove to Prescott, AZ, arriving about 6:20 PM. I was in rain, fog, mist, etc during most of the California leg only getting out of it as I approached Barstow on CA 58 so I only averaged about 58 mph. I was pleasantly surprised to see that CalTrans has completed the 4-lane bypass of "Four Corners" where the old two-lane CA 58 crossed the two-lane US 395. Also called "Kramer Junction", this was a long time bottleneck and was the only remaining section of 58 that wasn't four lanes; now CA 58 is four-lanes without stop signs or lights from I-15 on the east to CA 99 on the west at Bakersfield. This is progress toward extending I-40 from Barstow to Bakersfield and eventually west to join I-5.

On 23 April, I left Prescott at 7:00 AM and arrived in Oroville, at 8:20 PM averaging about 63 mph as the weather was better.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And what was your mileage going to and coming back from AZ?

Fill points and dates:
9 Apr 20 Oroville, CA to Barstow, CA: 35.9 mpg (I filled up at 3:50 AM in Oroville)
22 Apr 20 Prescott, AZ (includes local driving in Prescott): 33.2 mpg
23 Apr 20 Bakersfiled, CA: 35.2

I arrived in Oroville with a half tank left so I haven't filled it yet.

I have an automatic tranny and crossbars on my roof rails, so I'm sure that affects the mileage. Then of course there were the Tehachapi Mountains, and the high Mohave Desert ranges, and the ranges on I-40 between Needles, CA and Ash Fork, AZ; Prescott is at 5300 feet elevation.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
A couple of weeks ago drove from MI to Ct on Saturday and got up on Sunday and drove back to MI total trip was 1650 miles

The next weekend I drove from MI to Wi and back to MI on the same day (to pick up a 2003 jetta wagon TDI) trip total was 820 miles

So total of 2470 miles in 3 days of driving.

Glad it’s over with.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a one on one with my boss this morning and we discussed needing to get face to face with a customer in Florida. May have a road trip in my near future from Charlotte to Orlando.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a one on one with my boss this morning and we discussed needing to get face to face with a customer in Florida. May have a road trip in my near future from Charlotte to Orlando.
But remember to stay 6 feet (1.83 meters) apart! :D

MuggyTDI

TDI
Passat NMS
2014 Passat TDI SE - Over mother's day weekend I went from Cleveland, OH to Atlanta, GA to Texarkana, TX, back to Atlanta, and back to Cleveland. From the time I got my oil changed on that Friday before the trip I put just over 3000 miles on it by the time I got home Sunday night. And that wasn't the longest road trip she's done at once. In early April I put over 10,000 miles on it in about a three week period. Cleveland-NY-LA-SLC-Chicago-Cleveland-NY-Cleveland-Des Moines-NY-Cleveland.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Yup, when I have that same discussion I end up on a big metal bird. Happens every week :p

I was sheltering in place from mid-March until last week when I had to make a trip to Minneapolis. Glad that was last week and not this week, holy cow :eek:

I ended up driving to get a real world idea of fuel mileage on my new F150 but next week I start flying again, first to Salt Lake City and the next week to NYC.

Back to the original intent of this topic, I did a college road trip with my daughter and wife a few years back. We did an epic road trip in my hot rod Jetta, traveling to:

Chicago, Illinois

London, Ontario, Canada

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Cleveland, Ohio

Washington, District of Columbia

Nashville, Tennessee

St. Louis, Missouri

Back home to KC. Covered a little over 3000 miles on that trip.

Last edited:

JayOurBee

TDI
2005 Golf BEW 'PD' 5-speed
Just did Central Virginia to Utah and back, about 4200 miles total. Averaged 40MPG. I put a new turbo on in Utah, but it was planned. Left with stock turbo, came home with a Garrett VNT17. 280K miles now on my Golf BEW.