HEPU ALH Timing Belt KIT

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
In the process of ordering a Timing belt kit to replace the timing belt in my father ALH. I am seeing so many vendors, endless choices some include things u need and some offer it for extra charge . the ones do not have few things has very high quality component and what i will be missing can be ordered.

Any one has any feedback on HEPU Timing Belt Kit Metal Impeller Water Pump Jetta Golf Beetle ALH TDI listed here , What all bolts that must be replaced .

For example Idparts offer the kit and include bolts ( motor mount ..etc ) but u need to order in addition the most important thing like roller stud, tensioned stud VS the kit i mentioned which is listed on E-bay. All your feed back is greatly appreciated .

Most my experience ordering kist was thru metalmanparts for all my BEW, BRM and BHW and they always have every thing but was just curious

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEPU-Timing...ash=item25b46fcf6a:g:-PgAAOSwBahVZc8F&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I don't think that I have ever needed to replace a roller stud or tensioner stud in more than a dozen years of doing timing belts. It all depends on what they look like and that is dependent upon who worked on the car last. They are not one-time-use items. I don't feel bad about reusing the nuts that secure the rollers although, if they are included, I usually install them. It looks nicer. ;)

One would have to seriously over-torque the nuts on the studs to do damage and, as far as the tensioner stud goes, I think that the tensioner would be trashed before you would hurt the stud.

If there is question in your mind about it then pay the little extra for the stuff and install it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You can of course put your own kit together. The kits you see at places like ID and Dieselgeek are intended to include all the needed bits.
Anything you source from ebay or even Amazon require extreme research on brand, source, etc.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
I don't think that I have ever needed to replace a roller stud or tensioner stud in more than a dozen years of doing timing belts. It all depends on what they look like and that is dependent upon who worked on the car last. They are not one-time-use items. I don't feel bad about reusing the nuts that secure the rollers although, if they are included, I usually install them. It looks nicer. ;)

One would have to seriously over-torque the nuts on the studs to do damage and, as far as the tensioner stud goes, I think that the tensioner would be trashed before you would hurt the stud.

If there is question in your mind about it then pay the little extra for the stuff and install it.

Agreed but not sure what that boils down to . :D

I never had to replace studs either .That is why i was asking on which kit will have the essential without the extra unnecessary which drives the cost.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Whatever kit you buy, make sure you get a Litens Tensioner and INA or GMB rollers. Flennor is not a good idea.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Whatever kit you buy, make sure you get a Litens Tensioner and INA or GMB rollers. Flennor is not a good idea.

EEEH :eek: That is bad news tensioner right there .

are those tensioner get set the same way like the BEW & BRM as far as tension on the belt goes

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
yes, very similiar to a BEW or BRM tensioner, the ALH & A3/B4 tensioners use just the pinholes to rotate and the BEW BRM also have a 6mm Hex that can be used.

That tensioner was completely seized and somehow the engine was still running and in time.

I think their short commute saved them and that they towed the car the 2+ hours to my house to get the TB system changed out.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
yes, very similiar to a BEW or BRM tensioner, the ALH & A3/B4 tensioners use just the pinholes to rotate and the BEW BRM also have a 6mm Hex that can be used.
That tensioner was completely seized and somehow the engine was still running and in time.
I think their short commute saved them and that they towed the car the 2+ hours to my house to get the TB system changed out.

LUCKY , Very LUCKY .

What kit did you ended up ordering for them to replace . My father bought his Jetta w 162k which was maintained and TB was recommend by the Local VW at the time the car has 132,000. We he bought it last week i inspected it but could not find any evidence that the TB was replaced . Dealer said that car never came back for Timing belt ... So i am treating it as IF this would be the 1st time this ALH will see a TB service

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Agreed but not sure what that boils down to . :D

I never had to replace studs either .That is why i was asking on which kit will have the essential without the extra unnecessary which drives the cost.
Sorry....misunderstood.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Every great once-in-a-while, a timing belt lasts way longer than it should have; I have seen one NB TDI with the factory timing belt 40k miles longer than the interval. I mentioned to the owner, she should stop driving her car right then.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I just used a HEPU kit this weekend in my Beetle. I've used a few of them now for various engines. Never had an issue. Once on a 1.6td I needed to replace the tensioner stud but that's super rare.

I'm pretty sure the tensioner is made in Canada.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
We decided to go with the Idparts kit , Diesel purge to clean the injectors

Can any one suggest an alternative universal spanner to set the tensioner, i lended mine to some one who brook the pins and they are not sold separately. Seeing few on amazon but not sure. Also can any one confirm if the Pin that hold the cam in the BEW , BRM is the same diameter to be used on the Injection pump for the ALH .

I have several kits for the BRM , BEW/BHW and full access to the ALH but missing the locking IP pin and the spanner was brook as mentioned. So trying to avoid buying an extra set