Stations Required to post Cetane Number on pump?

BMW Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 01 and 03 Jetta tdi's
While driving for work today, I decided to stop at every station that sold Diesel that I passed. Something disturbed me, only 5 out of the 30 I stopped at posted the cetane number on the pump.

Are stations required to post the cetane number like the octane number?

Also, While the price ranged from about $1.30, (at the truck stops) to $1.39 for "regular diesel" the price at the stations selling the "Premiere Diesel" were $1.40-$1.49
But the really weird thing was the 2 Amoco stations I stopped at were selling for $1.69. Is this the Mythical 50 cetane premiere stuff, or are they just ripping people off? The pumps were not labeled, and the attendent looked at me like I had three heads when I mentioned the cetane rating.

Any help shedding light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Betzel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
BMW Guy,

I would imagine each state/jurisdiction is different. Here in MA$$achusetts, I called the division of standards - just this week as a matter of fact - and he said it is not required for diesel fuel. I think it IS for gas and is enforced (sorta).

Personally, this is one where I think there ought to be a law and it should be enforced with penalties for selling inferior stock, but the truck folks (the majority of diesel users) probably do not care unless it gets them better cost effective MPG or they own their own rig. Only the strange few care enough to ask about quality and we aren't a big section of the market.

I've been able to find Hess (42) and Gulf dieselect (45) in Boston and the rest sell whatever they git cheap (perception).

Other than California, I assume the rest of the US is about the same except for sporadic reports of great fuels like Amoco, etc.

Anyone else?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
30 stations!

DUDE you really need a hobby, I take that back its obvious now, you have one...

It's not required as far as I know to post the cetane on the fuel in public view.

It's fun everynow and then to ask it gets them all wound up behind the counter.

DB

nuke

Veteran Member
There's another thread going about fuel and a response from Texaco indicates that the standard for "Premium diesel" is that it include at least two characteristics from a list of about 5 or 6. Among these is lubricity and injector cleanliness, which I think texaco stated their diesel complies with. Cetane number is a possible characteristic too, but not required.

In the context of diesel fuel this makes sense vs. premium gasoline, what a octane rating is required for some engines.

Of course I'm in California, so I don't have to worry about it. I do wonder about fuel quality outside the state should I decide to go on a long driving trip. In that event, I'd probably pick name brand fuels from busy truck stops on major highways. Of course I'd only need maybe two stops along the way to get me back to Texas where I grew up.

BMW Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
DB, I work for a cell phone company, and I travel to stores all over the tri state area. I didn't really feel like working today, so I figured I would just stop at every station that sold diesel while on my way to the 2 stores I went to today.
I'm not crazy...I think

BMW Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Forum's been down for a while, so I'm re posting, The same Question still stands though. Any thoughts?...

P.S. Ohh and Ric if you read this no damm recipes I spent 2 years in culinary school I’ve got enough.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Regulations on diesel fuel quality and requirements to inform the customer vary from state to state.

In my own travels I can say that here in VA all stations are apparently required to post the minimum cetane number of the diesel they dispense, as they apparently are also in MD. WV and OH on the other hand seem to have no other regulations.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Beowulf, stations in Maryland do not appear to be required to post cetane. Perhaps most Amoci do, as a point of pride, and a few others as well, but there are plenty of stations in Montgomery County, Maryland (such as Chevron, Texaco, Sunoco and others) that do not sully their diesel dispensers with any kind of mark to indicate cetane.

Ron Lee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, Black w/ Pure Beige
Nor are they required to post accurate info on the pumps as is evident for certain Amoco pumps that are labeled as Amoco Premier 50 Cetane. From what I've heard, there is no Premier 50 cetance available in Maryland. Of course the Sandymount station is being renovated at this time so I'm curious to see what the new pump will be.