no start

donmobay

TDI
01jetta 03jettawagon 00beetle
hi,,,2000n beetle 160k been running fine with a few hic cups and lately a stall or 2. but always restarted while moving...the other nite bingo....no start...cranks fuel is not sqirting out...leaking out yes...interior is beat up(bought this way) belt is fine...looking for directions thanks don in atlanta... yearts ago i had some flat plastic tiny chips in my tank blocking fuel..that was a jetta....but has anyone experienced this.???

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
First check the ASV in the ERG is not stuck closed.

Does it seem like the engine is cranking fast?
An accessory could have seized and its not cranking fast enough to start.

Before you crank it again if you have a clear fuel line from the filter to the injection pump see if there's a tiny bubble in it at the highest spot.
If no bubble you have a air leak and it lost prime.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Did it stall then not restart? I would start by looking at chafed points to see if there is a wiring issue. Do you have power to the shut off solenoid?

donmobay

TDI
went to b.k. and parked ,,,bingo no start...i have switched the glow plug relay...from another car was working...,,,
?does anyone have a 2000 beetle??? ? does the glow plug relaycome on the dashboard when key switch is turned on...???
i ave removed battery ..and cleaned connections under and terminals...
switched relays....have 2 cars....
still no start... put battery back...........
???? im in a warm climate and its summer...do i need glow plug working to start /run???? :confused:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your 109 relay, I'll bet it's the old black one. Up by the 180 glow plug relay. A sure sign of a bad 109 is when you turn the ignition to glow the glow plug light does not come on. The 109 powers the ecu.

donmobay

TDI
need more info a 109 relay???any pics of it 678 768 1270 is my # for a pic if poss...thanks don

donmobay

TDI
here is wherei am ,,,,changed 109 relay and bingo glow light comes on dash...as normal...got pump and pushed diesel thru pump....changed (eliminated) stock fuel filter for temp basis... installed 2 inline filters... almost starts.. ran for 4 seconds 2x's then im getting fuel flying when i crak lines.... now ive put battery on charge.....3pm est

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Did you ever purge the pump of air?
You can do this simply by attaching a hose at the pump return line and sucking with your mouth. Use a long piece of clear.

donmobay

TDI
hahaha thanks for the big tip....smart very smart...i did it another way...i used a oilpump can...but im going to do it the other way....use my orange fuel line finally....put it on the return and suck......:rolleyes:

donmobay

TDI
i have done the pump return line sucking...i did it in the reverse order b4 and now it is moving fuel thru my new inline fuel filter....see thru...and has run 6 seconds...but i need help to crack lines and crank .....thats the way i like to do it....one cranks and one cracks....2 peeps...evam though i think i can do it solo..........should be running soon....my frend is sleeping for a few....rest....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
When I did this (twice) with an empty IP I purged the pump then cracked all 4 injectors about 1/3 or so, put down rags around the line ends and cranked about 5 or 6 seconds.
Once the car runs it will purge the rest of the air on it's own. If not could be some other issue, leak, tank debris, worn out pump.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
got pump and pushed diesel thru pump....changed (eliminated) stock fuel filter for temp basis... installed 2 inline filters... almost starts..
You are not using the stock fuel filter but you have 2 inline fuel filters?
I don't know if the pump will suck fuel through 2 filters.
Any reason you don't use the VW filter?
I see you seem to be making headway.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I have **NEVER** been able to suck fuel from one side of the VE pump to the other. I have no idea what people are talking about when saying this, it is like pulling against a solid wall.

Does the fuel cut solenoid get fed 12+ to open when the key is on, or is it grounded at the wire? With the key on, I read a ground at the pin / wire on the solenoid.

When cranking the engine, no fuel enters the pump through the clear line I have connected.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have **NEVER** been able to suck fuel from one side of the VE pump to the other. I have no idea what people are talking about when saying this, it is like pulling against a solid wall.

Does the fuel cut solenoid get fed 12+ to open when the key is on, or is it grounded at the wire? With the key on, I read a ground at the pin / wire on the solenoid.

When cranking the engine, no fuel enters the pump through the clear line I have connected.
You must not be "holding it right". :D

I have had only one time where it seemed so solid I couldn't get fuel out of probably 8 times i've ever done this procedure. In that one case i just bumped the engine with the starter and I was able to get it to work better. Maybe it was the position of the internals of the pump.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, with a mityvac connected to the return line, I crushed the hose from the vacuum force. I'll try again, but rotate the engine by hand with the vac on there and see if it suddenly opens up. I'm not confident.

Edit: Ok, so this time with the vac on the return side and highly charged (it is a pump reservoir type) it finally started pulling some fuel through, very slowly but it is moving. Is slow flow normal? Every once in a while it will suddenly "speed up" in the flow, but that is usually when large bubbles of air and foam are coming out of the pump, then it slows down again when it is solid fuel coming out.

I left it connected and pulling through the pump with just a bit of vacuum energy left, tomorrow I will try again cracking the lines and cranking to get fuel to the injectors.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Try removing the fitting and putting in an adapter that you can hook your vacuum pump to and try pulling fuel through that way.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you suck fuel from the filter port that feeds the injector pump?
The pump solenoid only has power very few seconds with the key on.
It has power cranking and running.
I think you can run power to it with the key off to activate it.
You might have to plug the 2 return lines on the fuel filter to get fuel to flow.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Well, with a mityvac connected to the return line, I crushed the hose from the vacuum force. I'll try again, but rotate the engine by hand with the vac on there and see if it suddenly opens up. I'm not confident.

Edit: Ok, so this time with the vac on the return side and highly charged (it is a pump reservoir type) it finally started pulling some fuel through, very slowly but it is moving. Is slow flow normal? Every once in a while it will suddenly "speed up" in the flow, but that is usually when large bubbles of air and foam are coming out of the pump, then it slows down again when it is solid fuel coming out.

I left it connected and pulling through the pump with just a bit of vacuum energy left, tomorrow I will try again cracking the lines and cranking to get fuel to the injectors.
Slow is normal if you are using a hand vacuum pump. Once you see fuel appearing in the return side you only need to reconnect it to the fuel filter.

After that, you crack open the injector hard lines about a whole turn to allow the air to purge from them while cranking. There are several methods, but I usually do the #3 cylinder first, then #1. It will usually try to start up by then, but I do either #4 or #2 after that. Some people open them all up, but I don't like that much fuel coming out at once.

You should see a spray of fuel; you can see it from the driver's seat while cranking. Close off the nut and move on to the next injector.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You only need to do one of the lines in my experience. Once you get one injector firing the engine will start. It'll run very roughly for a few seconds until the rest of the air is expelled, but it'll run.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help - it did turn out to just be lots of air in the lines.

I managed to open the injector lines and get wet fuel to show up at the injector end (yay, lovely mess) and then after a few more seconds of cranking, it sputtered into life for the first time in about 6 months.

Now I just need to figure out why it seems to smell like oil is burning somewhere. I hope it is just oil on the outside of the back of the engine burning off and not a turbo issue. When I get on the throttle it smokes like a refinery fire but has great acceleration. I may just be overfueling, not sure yet.

donmobay

TDI
well three weeks later....here i am joined aaa 4 tows yearly used 2....second one to a mechanic who said yes he can fix and lets find out what it is...well alot of driving later (had to retrieve key which was not left in igniyion when picked up by tow..) ok i then proceed to remove another pump from 01 jetta..........bingo....switch pumps done by 10:20 the next day....wow....runs fantastic....allc odes cleared....no black smoke no hic cups...good power... starts rite up no check lite on... when i get here the clutch pedal is almost getting stuck at the floor.... wow....now i pumped it 10 or 15xs at home not running and it seems that it is not happening...