steering assist warning light on error

cypher007

TDI
SEAT Toledo, Audi A3
steering assist warning light on error 00573

ive got this error on 2005 A3:

00573 - Steering Torque Sensor (G269): Implausible Signal

ive checked and the torque value changes as I turn the steering wheel. my mechanic has noticed the steering is very tight when it was on a 2 post lift and he tries to turn the wheel by hand. so we found the top mount bearings seem to be binding slightly as the spring will turn then the top mount shortly after.

if I clear it it comes back. I have found if I delete the code whilst the ignition is on then go for a drive all is well until I turn the ignition off then on, then it errors after a short drive. After that it comes on almost straight away after turning the ignition on.

Last edited:

cypher007

TDI
SEAT Toledo, Audi A3
seen that ta.

doesn't have fluid as its electromechanical.

the front suspension struts have a bearing between the chassis and strut.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Clean/tighten the chassis ground hidden underneath the air cleaner box. You have to remove the air cleaner box to find it. A flaky ground could cause the steering to lose it's adaption when the car is powered off setting the steering angle code and turning on the steering light. Both would clear when you reset the adaption by driving the car.

A slight binding strut top bearing would not set a code because the steering just powers past that point.

Last edited:

cypher007

TDI
SEAT Toledo, Audi A3
the torque sensor is in the rack. a guy on another forum says there are 2 torque sensors in the rack and it compares the figure from each. so it would seem one sensor or wiring is bad and the other is ok, hence why vcds shows the reading change.

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Does anyone have a diagram or part numbers for the sensors on the rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Clean/tighten the chassis ground hidden underneath the air cleaner box. You have to remove the air cleaner box to find it. A flaky ground could cause the steering to lose it's adaption when the car is powered off setting the steering angle code and turning on the steering light. Both would clear when you reset the adaption by driving the car.

A slight binding strut top bearing would not set a code because the steering just powers past that point.
Did you check the hidden ground underneath the airbox?

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Yes I removed the air box from the vehicle completely and cleaned, tightened and even sprayed all of the ground wires there (there were like 4 points) with corrosion resistance spray (battery terminal spray). None were loose or overly corroded by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: