Name that homemade tool!!!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I'll guess airbag tool?...again:rolleyes:

I was thinking an intake manifold scraper/cleaner. At least that is aproximately what the screw driver I bent for that job looks like...

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Not exactly homemade but it was fun to get this made and finish the job:

Local specialty machinist/fabricator busted it out in about 20 minutes

Last edited:

runonbeer

TDI
Here is my common rail compression test adapter:

They're in there deep!

And I think everyone already knows about these:

SOLD OUT!

Last edited:

runonbeer

TDI
I'm gonna guess a shop vac attachment for sucking out injector holes or oil from head bolt/ camcap holes
made it last week specifically for injector holes. Used to use a piece of hose with a rag wrapped around the end to stuff into the shop vac.
Installed 2 sets of injectors last week. I usually don't even have to mess with injectors unless I'm pulling the head in which case I just let the machinist clean out the holes.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
made it last week specifically for injector holes. Used to use a piece of hose with a rag wrapped around the end to stuff into the shop vac.
Installed 2 sets of injectors last week. I usually don't even have to mess with injectors unless I'm pulling the head in which case I just let the machinist clean out the holes.
looks like it's made from an old rear shock snubber and a spare injector line :)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Change your clutch? Looks like it could be used to push engine away from subframe, though there are much simpler ways to do that...
I use an old aluminum MKIV widowmaker with a hole drilled in the foot...I bolt the foot to the heat shield bolt hole in the block nearest the trans and push against the subframe with the business end!...has worked like a charm for many many trans swaps :cool:

runonbeer

TDI
It's not an injector line it's just some 3/8" steel tube I got out of Bill's frame shop.

To push the engine I similarly use a MKIV spare tire jack just enough to wedge a custom 2x4 in place.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
This was my newest one. Started as a cast iron pipe cap, turned on a lathe and drilled.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M

This is a flywheel lock tool for when you replace those pesky DMFs with SMFs

bolts onto the two large bolt holes at the top of the block is my guess.

Second one is what you use to loosen the oil cooler hex cap on an ALH/BEW to replace the seals since access is pretty limited.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
This is a flywheel lock tool for when you replace those pesky DMFs with SMFs
bolts onto the two large bolt holes at the top of the block is my guess.
Second one is what you use to loosen the oil cooler hex cap on an ALH/BEW to replace the seals since access is pretty limited.
Growler you are da' man !! First is made from a section of old DMF ring gear bent just right and welded between two old 11/16" sockets .... Second is self explanatory except I have to use an adjustable wrench to provide torque