How to increase mileage?

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
Ok, I know driving plays a lot in to your mileage, but what other physical things can be done to help increase your mileage.

I know good tires, Michelin energy’s, and running them towards the high end of their pressure.

I have heard that Upsolute will increase mileage, but not sure about that. Does anyone make a chip that just helps the fuel economy? What I would really like is an economy mode (low horsepower) and a normal mode, and then what most of the chips do, give me some extra power. Does this exist?

Don't know if the EGR Mod helps or not?

Am I missing anything else?

Brock

NB TDI

Veteran Member
what are you talking about takig lead out of your shoe??..other things.. hum taking the spare tire out of the trunk it's about 50 lbs

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI
Simple....the easier you are on the go-pedal, the better your mileage is likely to be. One who is easy on the right pedal and routinely runs highway at 70mph, is much more likely to get high mileage than one who goes WOT from the green light to cruising speed at 80-90mph or more.

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI
Another thing....have someone near you check your timing with a Vag-Com, and make sure it's at the upper end of the acceptable range.

There's no reason to think you can't increase your fuel economy by chipping the car, BUT....if you use all that extra power all the time, your mileage will go down rather than up. I'm using the extra power to get up to cruising speed of 70mph a bit quicker (not at WOT though), and set the cruise at 70mph or so. Then again, 95% of my driving is at 70mph on the highway.