Vacuum Pump or brake booster ?

starrtraveler

TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 127k
Wow guys, thank you so much for passing this along. I traced my no boost problem to low vacuum at the port out of the vacuum hose from the pump to the brake booster. Was looking at getting a new pump and hose when I came across this thread. I did 8 equal light taps around the nipple and voila! I have my turbo back and the fix was cheap. Again thanks!!!
P.S. I wouldn't mind if some of these vacuum trouble shooting stickies had this step included in the whole process. Would have saved me some time and headaches!
Yes, that is correct. I put the pump in the bench vise (with soft jaws) with the nipple pointing straight up. Using a hammer and punch, I tapped that aluminum rim IN towards the nipple in 4 places. The nipple becomes nice and tight. Then clean the area with brake cleaner, and apply RTV silicone to seal up the remaining gap. I taped it off...to be neat and tidy...lol, and then put a good layer of RTV on it.
The only thing you have to be careful with is, don't punch the lip too close to the edge or it will crack the cast aluminum. Just be kind of gentle if that makes any sense.
Hope that helps.