Intercooler Bottom Blown Off

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I was driving to work this morning and was ready to do my weekly Italian tune. I was going up a steep hill then down shifted to 3rd and when i accelerated i heard a pop and lost power. Black smoke poured out. I got to the top of the hill and found that the intercooler bottom had blown right off. I tried putting it back on but it would not stay on. So i am getting towed. I was recently having overboost issues so i am wondering if my turbo finally went. There was no CEL.
It was making some weird noises when the intercooler was blown off. kinda sounded like a vvvrrrrr when i was trying to make it go. It wasnt leaking excessive amounts of oil and the oil pressure was normal when ascending the hill. Checked oil level and it was normal. There was only what appeared to be the amount of oil that had been puddled at the bottom of the IC.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well hopefully the IC piping is intact, probably just needs connection hardware refreshed. Turbo should be fine.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
I might be able to crimp it back together if i pull it out. Im definitely checking the turbo just to make sure it doesnt have any play before i put it back together.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I wonder if TacoTaco is still around... he was (on eBay) selling a very nice all-aluminum replacement that had materially more fin area and thus less heat soak -- and was a LOT cheaper than an OE replacement.

My IC started leaking a long time ago, I bought one of those, and it's been in the car since with zero trouble.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i replaced a stock mkiv pd intercooler with a taco taco unit and the car felt less responsive... i think maybe the taco unit had more internal restriction ... car ran fine just tip in suffered some ....as stated above you can recrimp the tank but i would use grey silicone rather than epoxy, grey has high tensile strength yet retains some flexability, epoxy is brittle and will fail under the constant expansion and contraction of the intercooler tank

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
Diagnosis:
Turbo is in tacked, not leaking oil at all. Vanes at sticky at fully closed. But there is intermittent sticking along the whole stroke. It is random and will stop dead. I don't want to break it. So I let off pressure and push again and it goes. It also moves smoother or rougher if I put slight side pressure and move it. It almost seems like my vane mechanism is wore out.. is this fixable. I know I'm going to have to pull the turbo. I am mechanically inclined. But for now I'm gonna put the ic together and make sure it runs and nothing else is wrong with it before I drop $ on the turbo.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
The silicon didn't hold up. it only made to 18psi and blew. I am waiting for a new IC. i ordered an all aluminum one from AArodigez. I was going to do the chemical cleaning on the turbo but couldnt get the EGR nuts broke loose and i didnt have any backup parts. So i spayed some seafoam in the turbo and moved the vanes. they loosened up within a few strokes. THe next day i started the car and ran it up the road. It didnt seem like it was overboosting as before (it seemed more controlled). As soon as i goosed it good it blew out. Not nearly as loud of a pop as first time, probably due to the silicon not holding. I did clean the surfaces.