Power differences - Auto/Manual

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
What are the non-transmission differences between the configuration of an Auto and Manual?

From what I've gathered from other posts:
Auto has .158 injectors and an 11mm pump
Manual has .184 injectors and a 10mm pump

*deleted ignorant question about injector pump (eV)*

Are the numbers for automatics too high or are the numbers for manuals left intentionally lower than they really are?

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: e-VOLVed ]

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e-VOLVed:
From what I've gathered from other posts:
Auto has .158 injectors and an 11mm pump
Manual has .184 injectors and a 10mm pump

Would it be a good idea to change out the stock 10mm pump on a manual? Would it cause any pressure or heat problems?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't it reported that the reason for the shorter timing belt interval on the automatic transmission was due to these engine differences?

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
From another thread:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> FYI,
All TDI Automatics come with a fuel cooler mounted under the passenger seat.... I suspect that with the 11mm pump there are higher pressures and accordingly, higher temps...

Gary M

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
And just so that everybody knows, that cooler is in the fuel return line to the fuel tank. It is not cooling the fuel from the tank. It is cooling the fuel going to the tank.

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
Great info on the cooler, thanks.
Moving on... to my previous question:

1) Are the injector pump and injector size the only pre-transmission difference?

2) What are the REAL numbers for a stock Auto and Manual and for an auto with .184's?

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
Good point, I did searches a little further back in the forum and found that info.

But the questions remain:

1) Are the injector pump and injector size the only pre-transmission difference?
2) What are the REAL numbers for a stock Auto and Manual and for an auto with .184's?