RPM Differences, Auto and Manual Tranny's

AVTechMan

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
Had a question regarding RPM's on the trannies.

My wagon of course has the auto tranny, in which I hope soon to convert to a manual. I notice that on the highway going about 70mph, RPM's hang around 2600 RPM's. Is that considered about normal for the auto tranny?

I was also wondering with a manual, what are the typical RPM readings with say, in 6th gear going about the same speed? I do know that lower RPM's do help on fuel economy so most likely when I get to do the swap my MPG should increase. I am not an aggressive driver so I should do pretty well.

When I move to the Houston area in just over a week, I hope to find someone in the area that can do the auto to manual swap as soon as I can get the kit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The ALH version of the 01M and the 02J, automatic and manual, respectively, are not geared too terribly far apart on the high end. At 80, there is maybe a 150 RPM advantage with the manual. I say this, because it is fresh in my mind as I drove my neighbor's 2001 automatic Jetta TDI in to work last week for service.

I can't speak for the 6sp, but I know you can get taller 5th gear sets for the 02J that are less costly than dealing with the 6sp. But then you have that gap between 4th and 5th.

AVTechMan

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
The ALH version of the 01M and the 02J, automatic and manual, respectively, are not geared too terribly far apart on the high end. At 80, there is maybe a 150 RPM advantage with the manual. I say this, because it is fresh in my mind as I drove my neighbor's 2001 automatic Jetta TDI in to work last week for service.
I can't speak for the 6sp, but I know you can get taller 5th gear sets for the 02J that are less costly than dealing with the 6sp. But then you have that gap between 4th and 5th.
If there was a complete 5-speed swap kit I surely would consider that too, especially if it will help with cost.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
There might be more discussion in the Upgrade section. There is also a how-to written by Alphasenior, also in Texas.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
I did a swap not long ago and did notice a drop in RPM at cruise, Maybe 150-200 RMP as Oilhammer noted.

It makes the car a heck of a lot quieter in cruise, probably just moved me out of the drone range.