2002 Audi TT Quattro 6-speed, 2002 Golf 4-door 5-speed TDI Parts Interchange??

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 audi TT 225hp quattro 6-speed for dirt cheap, and was curious how many of the parts on that car will interchange with parts on mine. And don't just say it won't fit - anything will fit with enough work, and it's just a question of how much work I'm willing to do. My immediate thoughts are:

- 6-speed transmission
- Quattro driveline
- Front suspension & brakes
- Rear IFS suspension, brakes, & driveline
- Nicer interior trim, plastic, etc. NOT seats - i don't like the seats.

My other thought was that I could subsequently install all my stock TDI parts on the TT and sell it back into the market (full disclosure, of course) to someone who wants the look of the TT but doesn't care so much about handling, braking, etc.

any thoughts?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Import a tdi ratio 02m 6 speed and standalone haldex controller. The standalone controller units run ~200-400eu. Swap the guts of the trannies and you now have a tdi ratio awd 02m. Sell the fwd 02m on vortex to recoup money. Order r32 trunk pan from dealer for ~$350. Swap trunk pans and you can now transplant drivetrains and have an 4 motion tdi without any insanely complex wiring :D.

You've got all the rest covered.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
so it's bad logic to think I can swap the gears from my 5-speed into the 6-speed for the first 5 gears, and buy a .68 ratio tdi 5th gear and use it as 6th gear? parts between the trannies don't interchange, i'm guessing.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Correct. The 5 and 6 speed are two completely different designs. The 5 speed is a single countershaft tranny and the 6 speed is a twin countershaft. About the only parts that might interchange are some of the bolts that hold the halves together haha.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Whitbread said:
Import a tdi ratio 02m 6 speed and standalone haldex controller. The standalone controller units run ~200-400eu. Swap the guts of the trannies and you now have a tdi ratio awd 02m. Sell the fwd 02m on vortex to recoup money. Order r32 trunk pan from dealer for ~$350. Swap trunk pans and you can now transplant drivetrains and have an 4 motion tdi without any insanely complex wiring :D.

You've got all the rest covered.
You make it sound so easy. I want! :)

Whitbread

TDI
Several
TDICADDGUY said:
You make it sound so easy. I want! :)
Provided you have all the parts and tools to set up the tranny properly, it is that easy :). Another member and I are doing it to his car first and then my car will be later. His 1.8T awd TT tranny showed up at his house today actually.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
hopefully i'll beat you to it :)

seriously though, all the other stuff bolts up? front and rear cradles, rack and pinion, axle shafts, struts and shocks? are the 225 TT axle shafts the same at the ends as the tdi shafts so i can leave the tdi axles till i upgrade the transmission?

was thinking i could do the front and rear suspension first, then the transmission and driveline later, around the same time as the upgraded clutch and flywheel.

are the TT clutch and flywheel upgrades from the TDI?

and what about the interior?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Redneck Truck said:
hopefully i'll beat you to it :)

seriously though, all the other stuff bolts up? front and rear cradles, rack and pinion, axle shafts, struts and shocks? are the 225 TT axle shafts the same at the ends as the tdi shafts so i can leave the tdi axles till i upgrade the transmission?

was thinking i could do the front and rear suspension first, then the transmission and driveline later, around the same time as the upgraded clutch and flywheel.

are the TT clutch and flywheel upgrades from the TDI?

and what about the interior?
Yup, the rack is a tighter ratio too :). The rear cradle won't bolt up until you change the trunkpan. All I know about the axle shafts is that the 6 speed ones will only bolt to the 6 speed. Different flange diameters. Dunno about the clutch or interior.

It's kind of an all or nothing swap with the driveline. If you don't do it ALL at once, it's going to be a major pita to piece it together.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
that sounds like a good deal. if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your TT? do you plan to part the TT out when you're done with it, or just swap all the golf parts you removed onto the TT and sell it as a "downgraded TT"?

the thought crossed my mind that maybe the spare tire buckets in the golf and the TT interchanged - cut each out and weld it into the other. also, i guess the swap would be a good time for a G60 flywheel and upgraded VR6 clutch.

any other thoughts? going to look at a TT with engine problems - the ideal donor vehicle, it seems - this evening.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Redneck Truck said:
that sounds like a good deal. if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your TT? do you plan to part the TT out when you're done with it, or just swap all the golf parts you removed onto the TT and sell it as a "downgraded TT"?

the thought crossed my mind that maybe the spare tire buckets in the golf and the TT interchanged - cut each out and weld it into the other. also, i guess the swap would be a good time for a G60 flywheel and upgraded VR6 clutch.

any other thoughts? going to look at a TT with engine problems - the ideal donor vehicle, it seems - this evening.
I wish I already had a TT sitting around :(. I planted my money tree but the darn thing hasn't started growing yet....

The vr6/g60 setup won't work. You have to use a 1.8T 240mm clutch setup. It's specific to the 6 speed.

Good luck on your search! Blown engine would definitely be the way to do it. Then pull all the parts you need, part out the rest.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
well, not blown engine. just engine problems. it runs great, spits oil out the exhaust. so likely a turbo and it'll run great. swap my TDI suspension, 5-speed, and brakes onto it and sell it back into the market as a detuned 225hp 2wd TT for really cheap.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Swap the TDI into the TT and call it a day. Get the TDI AWd transmission from Scott Dewitt at a later time when the buzziness gets on your nerves

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
If I wanted a TT, I'd have one already. They are about as practical as motorcycles and i've already got a motorcycle. I bought a golf for transportation, fuel economy, and work purposes. When you say buzziness, what are you referring to?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The buzziness of using the TDI with the 1.8T transmission/gearing if you were to drop it in the AWD TT platform. Its a fairly easy swap. Swapping the awd into the golf is much more work but it has been done before. I think the best thread that shows the details is a White VR6 wagen that was upgraded to AWD and an R32 motor.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
ohh yeah i remember reading somewhere that 1.8 gearing puts you at 3300rpm in 6th gear at 60mph, and that certainly won't do - i drive 7-800 miles a week, quite a few of them on the highway, and that would equate to some crazy high cruising rpm's. does anyone have a list of the gear ratios between the TDI and TT transmissions for comparison? it would be interesting to see exactly how different it would be.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can not just swap the gearing. The TT's transmission is a different style transmission with 2 pinion shafts. There are TDI gearsets available for it but they are not cheap. Its probably more cost effective to buy a TDI 6spd awd transmission for $2k and sell the TT's transmission.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
so the gears in the TT 02m AWD and the gears in the TDI 02m FWD do not interchange?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Redneck Truck said:
so the gears in the TT 02m AWD and the gears in the TDI 02m FWD do not interchange?
Do you have an 02M in your car?

O2M to O2M will swap

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
I was going to buy a TDI 02m FWD from Scott Dewitt, swap the guts with the TT, put my TDI 5-speed and suspension and brakes in the TT and sell it, and sell the resultant FWD 6-speed TT 02m in the market. bad idea?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Redneck Truck said:
I was going to buy a TDI 02m FWD from Scott Dewitt, swap the guts with the TT, put my TDI 5-speed and suspension and brakes in the TT and sell it, and sell the resultant FWD 6-speed TT 02m in the market. bad idea?
That would work just fine. The only thing that doesn't swap over internally from a fwd 02m to a awd 02m is the diff. But that gives you an excuse to put a peloquin in there anyway :D. The ring gear transfers over just fine, just some rivet drilling.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
of course, if i re-gear the front diff, i've gotta re-gear the rear diff as well. does anybody sell gearsets for the rear? and how far apart are the tdi and TT final drive anyway?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Redneck Truck said:
of course, if i re-gear the front diff, i've gotta re-gear the rear diff as well. does anybody sell gearsets for the rear? and how far apart are the tdi and TT final drive anyway?
No you don't. As long as you use the transfer case and rear end out of the same car, you're good. The gearing in the tranny doesn't affect it.

From all the reasearch my friend did on the subject, the rear end ratios are all the same across the board anyway.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Nope, ended up not doing anything with it. The car sits, and the battery is dead. Shortly after my last post on this thread, I bought an Audi A6 4.2 Quattro and swapped a 6-speed manual transmission into it. Basically accomplished all the stuff I would have on my TDI, but on a nicer, less fuel efficient car. I need to get the Golf back on the road though - Audi won't pass emissions right now and the fuel cost is killing me.