Pipercross cone eliminates screen issues?

Deception

Veteran Member
Will replacing the factory airbox with a Pipercross cone filter intake eliminate the "clogged screen" issues that are evident with the TDI's induction system design? And is it necessary to oil the cone filter?

Thanks!

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
If you are replacing the airbox then you will be removing the snowscreen. So the answer is yes, it does eliminate the snowscreen clogging problem.

M

mickey

Oiling it is a good idea. Don't get crazy, though. A little goes a long way.

Amsoil's filter oil is the "tackiest", in a good way.

-mickey

MNgasBurner

Redline filter oil get's my vote. It's even tackier. As far as a little going a long way... you need to saturate the foam media for it to work. coat it massage the hell out of it, and then use rags (plural) to soak any excess out. This assures you cover the entire filter, so it can do it's job, and thoroughly wiping it down with rags after (until the rags absorb no more oil) assures it's not over oiled.

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
Drivin EZ, you still got my intake pics on ya? My image server pwd is disabled
I run the Viper with a 3" hose to the area behind the headlight, with the snorkle "snorkled" into it. I oil it as well. You'd be amazed at what I found after spraying Simple Green on it (and the Viper for that matter) last week. 6 weeks in service, TONS of crud and soot trapped by the snowscreen and excellent Amsoil filter oil washed out of it.

[ April 03, 2002, 10:58: Message edited by: BoraTdi ]

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Thoughts on snow screen.
My personal belief, leave it in and work with it.

Hey Bora,
I've been running a similar set up.
Viper, (which is a carbon fiber encased cone, sort of, that's a stretch but many will understand it better) hooked up to the stock intake location with snow screen in place. The power difference is quite noticeable, and the safety measure of protecting POS VW MAF, is intact by using snowscreen. Which I too, have found is sucking up way more crud faster than it normally would with stock box. Hmm, what does that tell all the rocket scientists out there?
It tells me, the motor is getting much more of the air it desires.

I hope some engineer who reads this and finds themselves compelled to provide some book answer as to how I can't possibly have more power with this set up will be kind enough to start a new thread so as to not destroy this one.