Are the stock 05 & 06 Auto Trans any good?

RHestand

TDI
none
I'm trying to help a lady friend buy a tdi and I'm not sure as to whether to recommend a stick or an auto.
I've read good and bad stories about both. Like:
The dual mass fly-wheel is junk.
The auto trans are not very durable and very expensive to repair or replace, etc.
She commutes 120 mi. every day and is very excited about the great fuel mileage available with the tdi and doesn't mind driving a stick or an auto. Which would be better for the long run?
It seems that most of the cars we've seen on the internet that she can afford are 05s and 06s with around 90K to 150K miles on them.
I've read that timing belt needs to be R&R at around 100K?
I know buying a used car is always somewhat risky, but I would feel really bad if she bought one and then had a lot of problems with it.
I know there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on this forum and any advice or opinions would be much appreciated.
TIA, Ray

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The 5 speed and the DSG both have a DMF.Have the camshaft inspect in 04 to 06.Make sure they used the right oil.These car are not cheap to repair.

lbirunner

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
There is also a Tiptronic auto (09A) in that year range that does not have a DMF. But is only a good trans if maintenance has been performed regularly. The problem is VW sells it as a maintenance free trans and it isn't.

I would recommend you contact a guru in your area that will help you find a car with a known history. Unless you find someone with really good records and knows how to take care of these cars.