www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 12th, 2012, 20:09   #1
dtreid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50mpg
Default Easiest way to R&R 2006 BRM Jetta Turbo

What is the simplest procedure to R&R the turbo on a 2006 Jetta?
Can it be done w/o removing the egr?
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:18   #2
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

EGR doesn't have to come out but the EGR cooler does.

Turbo will come out the bottom of the car with the cooler pulled. IIRC pulling the passenger side axle might be necessary too. It has been awhile but you may be able to get away with just unbolting the inner flange of the axle and it might swing out of the way enough to slide the turbo past.

Some will say to replace the oils supply hard line with a catastrophic turbo failure like yours. It is a super pain to do on a BRM. I would at least unbolt it at both ends and blow back through it with compressed air to make sure it is clear, if not just going ahead and replacing it anyway.

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:57   #3
bquick
Veteran Member

I dropped the passenger side axle completely. It was definitely easier that way.

I was able to reuse my oil supply line; I didn't frag or seize my turbo. If I were in your shoes, I would drain the oil before turning the motor over and replace the supply line in case anything made it into the sump. I was going to replace mine, but due to the amount of things it looked like I'd have to remove to get to where it bolts to the block, I decided not to. I turned the engine over to verify the the supply line wasn't blocked prior to installing the new turbo.

IIRC, to remove the turbo from the bottom, you'll have to remove:
- Intercooler output to ASV pipe
- Intake adapter to the turbo
- VNT harness
- O2 sensor - I would cut a wrench short or get the VW tool
- Exhaust
- Oil return tube
- EGR cooler to EGR manifold
- EGR cooler; I left the coolant hoses attached so I didn't have to drain my coolant.

Wrestling the turbo out the bottom of the car was fun. Getting it around the EGR cooler was difficult. I reused the exhaust manifold gasket, just cleaned it up. The kit I got also had an intake manifold gasket, so I'm thinking that pulling the plenum bulkhead would allow you to pull the ASV valve, EGR and intake which would allow you to pull the turbo out the top.

Your choice, spend 6 hours on your back under the car, or ? hours leaning over the engine compartment.

Cheers,

Bryan
bquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:02   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

We take them out the bottom, with the right axle removed. Axles come out really easy on the A5, because you don't need to unbolt/remove anything from the suspension. It just comes out.

Hardest part for me on the BRM turbo is getting the charge air hose to let go, and keeping it sort of out of the way while you actually R&R the turbo off the studs on the head.

Also, I remove the throttle flap and EGR valve just to make it a bit easier to get back in there and mess with the downpipe/catalyst clamp. You can also remove the firewall section from the body if you think you need more room... that requires removal of the wiper arms and cowl trim, but is pretty easy to do.

I leave the oxygen sensor on the catalyst, just unplug it and take the whole assembly down and out of the car.

Consider a new EGR cooler... if yours is not leaking yet it will be soon, and now is the time to replace it.
Old November 11th, 2015, 10:10   #5
bcdiesel

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtreid View Post
What is the simplest procedure to R&R the turbo on a 2006 Jetta?
Can it be done w/o removing the egr?
I'm currently attempting to remove and then replace my turbo with a pd140, how ever this is my first time ever doing anything like this. Would you guys have any pictures or links to a video for a diy guide? Thanks it would be super helpful.
bcdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 13:34   #6
jay.sejkora2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
I'm currently attempting to remove and then replace my turbo with a pd140, how ever this is my first time ever doing anything like this. Would you guys have any pictures or links to a video for a diy guide? Thanks it would be super helpful.
I should be putting mine in this weekend w/ a brand new EGR cooler. I'll take pics. Did you ever get your car back online?
jay.sejkora2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 21:35   #7
hardint
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 gl
Fuel Economy: 40-44/

EGR delete it do your self a big favor if you intend to keep it long term . JMO
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 13:01   #8
Nohlan_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.sejkora2011 View Post
I should be putting mine in this weekend w/ a brand new EGR cooler. I'll take pics. Did you ever get your car back online?
Any pics of the job you did? Looking to complete this my self soon.
Nohlan_4 is offline   Reply With Quote