buying a 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TDI 140bhp

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Bora 1.9TDI Audi A4 2.0TDI Sline BMW 530D
Hi guys, before i go buy this car id like to know more about the car and engine, im currently driving a 2001.5 VW Jetta

can anyone please give me a few pointers on what is any common problems, what should make me run away from buying it and any opinion on the car will be welcome :)

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
all cars have their drawbacks and problems but theres nothing about the 2.0 140 BHP that would make you run a mile. I've heard of a few injector and turbo problems since the move from the 1.9 PD to the 2.0 common rail lumps but thats just from people i know with high milers

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
hey tom thanks for the feedback, how high are we talking here when you say high milers?,100k + 200k +?

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
can't remember off hand, they were both over 150k i think. one was in an A3 he bought from auction with little service history, i think he ended up getting a new turbo. Other engine was in a passat not sure what exactly was up with it, maybe an injector wiring loom he replaced in the end to cure a misfire he was having. (although the issues with wiring looms can also happen with PD engines as you have wires and connectors swimming in oil)

Just make sure the car you buy has history, and change the oil and filter as regular as you can, even if you don't touch anything else, this is where it counts if you want to keep the car a while and run into hundreds of thousands of miles.

Last edited:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Hi guys, before i go buy this car id like to know more about the car and engine, im currently driving a 2001.5 VW Jetta

can anyone please give me a few pointers on what is any common problems, what should make me run away from buying it and any opinion on the car will be welcome :)
The A4 Audi TDI 2.0L should have the BLB engine. The 2004-2005 BLB engines have a similar problem with the balance shaft and oil pump chain drive that the BHW engined Passats have in which the chain drive would get damaged and starve the engine of oil. Later BLB engines have been fitted with a grear drive that fixed the issue.

A fella in this forum posted which vin numbers are affected.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...7-2-0-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-failure.html

For VINs to number 8E*6*080171 the chain drive is original fit

For VINs from number 8E*6*080172 upwards the spur gear drive is original fit

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback DBW, is this chain drive timing or cambelt?
Will check the vin on the car before buying.

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I know of a nice one for sale if you are near KY.

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha sorry im using my ipod to view this forum so its not very big thought u were drivebywire, thanks for the feedback deliveryvalve :p

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got the VIN, can someone tell me if its chain or gear ?, mmzzz8ex6a078724

Thanks

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
ill be sure to get an engine warranty when i buy it
It's best to have the BS module replaced ASAP and not wait until it fails. Whether you pay out of pocket or not, it needs to be done.
If there are chain noises, you should have a case for the extended warranty to do something about it.