Fixing "limp mode". Turbo VNT actuator, Where to get?

rwa227

TDI
2004 Jetta
I am trying to fix a "limp mode" problem on 2004 Jetta.
VNT actuator doesn't hold vacuum. I assume it is shot.
This VNT actuator is steel on the upper half and plastic on the lower half with a 3 pin conector (position sensor?) Lenco Electronics 180183.
Where can I purchase a VNT actuator with built in position sensor?
The ones I see on line are just simple vacuum diaphrams with no electrical connection.

After pumping like crazy with a hand vacuum pump, the VNT stayed in an intermediate position for a while, but now it is back to limping a lot!

In the interim, I'm trying easing up on the adjustment to not apply so much spring pressure. I don't mind not having boost at lower power levels, but the "limp mode" under demanding situations is very unpleasant.

Thanks for any help you could provide!

Grace to you and Peace
Roy Alexander

rwa227

TDI
2004 Jetta
VNT actuator for KKK (Borg Warner) Turbo not available separately

Thanks for trying!

TDIparts.com informed me that Actuator for my kkk (Borg Warner) turbo is not available separately. They have an entire Garrett turbo avaliable as a replacement.

I have a couple of cheap options.

1) try to repair the actuator I have. I have to destroy it to get it apart, but maybe can saw open the folded over sheet steel and us a home made clamp afterwards

2) adjust the VNT arm to a compromise position so that limp mode comes on at a higher power output, but sacrifice low end performace.

3) is it possible to make limp mode less gimpy? somhow fool the computer, but not blow the head off?

Grace & Peace
Roy

JNR

TDI
04 jetta wagon
I'm looking for the same part... let me know if you find anything, and i'll do the same

rwa227

TDI
2004 Jetta
Still working on "Limp mode" actuator seems to function.

I tried a refrigeration style vacuum pump on my VNT actuator (after removing it) and it seems to work fine. It didn't leak either and this is s "Real" Vacuum pump pumps down to fractional Torr.
Anyway with actuator removed, the VNT lever seemed rather "scratchey" Not smooth, But I could get it to go through its full range.

After reassembly, limp mode was the same. in 2nd gear it kicked in around 3300 rpm. in 3rd around 3000 and in 4th 2800 aND 5th 2600rpm.

I checked teh N75 solinoid and it seemed to work put 12 V on coil and it makes a definite "klunk"

After a few days in light diving I haven't been able to get it into limp mode. I need to take it some place to test it on some steep hills.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be the actuator. I figured if I had to, I would try wiring the VNT arm into full "off" position and see how it performed. or just put 12 V on the N75 solinoid constantly.

The saga continues, but still no source for this particular actuator. I think I'd go with a choke wire control before replacing a perfectly good turbo!

But as of now, I don't think the actuator is the problem. more to come.

Grace & Peace
Roy

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Unplug the maf and see if you have hte same problem, if it goes away then clean the contacts on the maf and try again, if you still have the problem then replace the maf.

I only suggest this because it's way easier to check than any of the other stuff you're jumping into. Why rip into a bunch of stuff if you may not have to?

Scottb67

TDI
04 Jetta GLS
I also have an 04 Jetta and just had my actuator replaced. The dealer told me I needed a new turbo $2079. Thanks to this site I found a "trusted mechanic" who replaced my actuator for a few hundred and my car has full power now in every gear. The receipt they gave me lists the part as Smart Actuator from Kerma tdi. around $200. Hope this helps.