Zerostart 8000 Series Heater Installation.

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
A couple of weeks ago I installed a Zerostart 8000 Series heater on my car – a 2002 Jetta TDI.

Since this heater is different from the ones normally installed (which are 5000 series), I decided to document the installation and post it for all the Do-It-Yourselfers out there.

So here is how it went. It was actually pretty simple.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/ZEROSTART_SERIES_8000_HEATER_INSTALLATION.pdf

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I know that you have a good product, Terry. And price vs. convenience has been argued many times before. However, I'm the ultimate do-it-yourselfer. And as a bonus the heater and related parts cost me only about $70. Plus my heater is 1500W rather than 1000W. If I've spent $110 overall, that included a nice digital timer, a 50ft extension cord, and a GFI outlet for my garage.

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Nice write up! I just ordered Terry's product....I'm looking forward to installing it in my '06 TDI Wagon.

Is there a similar writeup for the TDIHeater out there?

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
digifant_gli said:
Nice write up! I just ordered Terry's product....I'm looking forward to installing it in my '06 TDI Wagon.

I'm not sure but it should come with instructions as to how to install.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wow, that kinda sucks. I installed a 1500W heater with hoses/clamps for about $70CAD..

Last edited by a moderator:

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Almost Ditto, lnxguy.
I just got the reg 1000W from a diesel supply store for 45 cnd, (came with 6 band clamps, two "L" brackets and the two bolts/nuts) 2 90deg hoses from Crappy tire, 4 & 6$ and 2 straight couplings, .99cents.
60 bucks total. I too like doing stuff on my own.
Congrats on a fun little project Stancho.

Dave
BTW Red, not the best way to drum up business

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
We don't recommend the 1500 watt model and its effects on the engine and surrounding components with the added heat. ZeroStart recommends the 1000 watt as a maximum for a 4 cyl diesel, which makes sense due to our tiny 2 gallon cooling systems in the TDIs. :)

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
I'm not sure but it should come with instructions as to how to install.
Yep, every one of our 13 different kits come with a Step-by Step Installation Manual with color photos, specific to your year, model, and transmission type you have.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I just finished helping Birdman install the Webasto unit into his car.

I realize that a majority of TDI'er are penny pinchers so they'd never even consider spending the money so I've stopped trying to pursuade.

Here are a few advantages that I really enjoy:

1. No plug or electricity needed, therefore it works everywhere I go

2. If I don't have time to activate the heater, I can drive my car while the heater is working which heats the car up very, very fast.

3. The Webasto runs the fan inside the car. So not only is the coolant warm, but so is the inside of the vehicle.

4. I can activate my heater from the bedroom window or like last winter, while I was in the movie theatre.

5. The capacity of the Webasto heater is very large and it warms the coolant very quickly.

Like I said, it's not suited for everyone

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Here's one more:

Electric heat is only about 1/3 efficient in the overall fuel-to-heat equation. (Lot of loss generating electricity and getting it to you.) Burning fuel right where the heat is needed is 100% efficient.

The overall impact on the world's fuel use is small... but the Webasto does fit in a bit better with the overall minimum-emissions theme of the TDI. (If that's why you drive one, that is.)

Eddy

//now, if only the Webasto cost 1/3 of what it does... :(

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
tongsli said:
I just finished helping Birdman install the Webasto unit into his car.

I realize that a majority of TDI'er are penny pinchers so they'd never even consider spending the money so I've stopped trying to pursuade.

1. No plug or electricity needed, therefore it works everywhere I go

2. If I don't have time to activate the heater, I can drive my car while the heater is working which heats the car up very, very fast.

3. The Webasto runs the fan inside the car. So not only is the coolant warm, but so is the inside of the vehicle.

4. I can activate my heater from the bedroom window or like last winter, while I was in the movie theatre.

5. The capacity of the Webasto heater is very large and it warms the coolant very quickly.

Like I said, it's not suited for everyone
Thanks for the info. I didn't know it exists until I read your post ;) I like the product. Can you give me an idea on pricing and installation procedure?

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Can you give me an idea on pricing and installation procedure?

Between $1600.00 and $2000.00 installed.

I believe installation requires:

-removal of the battery and battery tray (maybe some additional components around there as well)
-removal of the drivers fender and fender liner to access the horns
-relocation of the horns and wiring
-running fuel lines to and from the unit...one line go back to the fuel sender (under the rear passenger seat)
-Splicing into the vehicle's main wiring harness to operate the blower fan etc

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
red golf tdi said:
Between $1600.00 and $2000.00 installed.

I believe installation requires:

-removal of the battery and battery tray (maybe some additional components around there as well)
-removal of the drivers fender and fender liner to access the horns
-relocation of the horns and wiring
-running fuel lines to and from the unit...one line go back to the fuel sender (under the rear passenger seat)
-Splicing into the vehicle's main wiring harness to operate the blower fan etc
Thanks ;) Now I need to find money for this :D

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
CountryGuy said:
Thanks ;) Now I need to find money for this :D
Battery removal is not necessary. Not with the Webasto Kit. The OEM VW kit it's necessary. And, the last time someone posted, it was closer to $1600 installed from a Webasto dealer.

Lito

Last edited:

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
tongsli said:
Battery removal is not necessary. Not with the Webasto Kit. The OEM VW kit it's necessary. And, the last time someone posted, it was closer to $1600 installed from a Webasto dealer.

Lito
Thank you.

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Red Golf, read to the end of my sentence. "...Overall fuel-to-heat equation." You have to burn 2-3 BTU's of fuel at the power plant for every BTU of heat that you get out of an electric heater.

Sure, an electric heater is 100% efficient. A power plant, not so much. That's why it's so expensive to space heat with resistance heaters, compared with burning the same fuel on-site.

Eddy

Last edited:

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
Great instructions bump.

I found them via a google search. This heater was quite a bit less than TDI heater. I think I got mine for $59 from jcwhitney.com with free shipping!

I'm going to install it this weekend.

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
red golf tdi said:

http://www.tdiclub.com/Disclaimer/ForumRules.html

[*]No buying, selling, or trading anywhere outside of the Classifieds Forum

(Compared two solutions for discussion purposes.Terry.)

red golf tdi said:
Yep, every one of our 13 different kits come with a Step-by Step Installation Manual with color photos, specific to your year, model, and transmission type you have.

Just noticing.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
can I install a zerostart 1000W on my 1997 passat?

Has anyone do this before?

Instructions for that model?

tinkoo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Great how to instructions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay this is a late, very late post.

But anyways I installed the unit on my wifes 2004 Jetta and it was a simple process. Actually time to install the unit was under 1 hour (misplacing my bottle of G12 coolant added another hour but thats not the point here).

Following instructions, the only thing that takes much time was bending the bracket to minimize contact with hoses, etc. Everything else was as simple as changing the cars oil.

CANT SAY ENOUGH GOOD STUFF ABOUT THIS HOW TO OTHER THAN IT SHOULD BE MADE INTO A STICKY.

I'm sure the Frostheater is a great product and not to put down someones business BUT, I cannot justify paying over DOUBLE the cash to save 10 min of install time.

TDI
2004 Wolfsburg Wagon
A couple of weeks ago I installed a Zerostart 8000 Series heater on my car – a 2002 Jetta TDI.

Since this heater is different from the ones normally installed (which are 5000 series), I decided to document the installation and post it for all the Do-It-Yourselfers out there.

So here is how it went. It was actually pretty simple.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/ZEROSTART_SERIES_8000_HEATER_INSTALLATION.pdf
I realize that this is many years later, but I am installing the same heater in my Tdi. I am curious though as to why are we removing the check valve.