Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I'm seeing gas starting to go down around here. It's back down to the $4.15-4.19 range, while D2 is still holding steady at $3.99-4.09.

NachtRitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5MT
Filled up with B20 at $4.439/g (same as it was 10 days ago). Meanwhile, RUG = $4.599/g, MUG = $4.699/g, SUG = $4.799/g :eek: Those had gone up 10c/g over the past 10 days.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Saw rug range from 3.70 to 3.52 (guess which one I bought) within a couple of miles in SC. D2 in NC at the station nearest me is still holding at 4.15.

MKT

Veteran Member
TDI
Ford F250 6.0, wifey has 2012 Jetta TDI
In my corner of So. Cal I noticed D2 has dropped a couple cents since I got the JSW.

At the Shell I normally fuel at RUG $4.299, SUG $4.499 and D2 $4.439 and the closest competing station, a Mobil had D2 for $4.419.

The Shell has two D2 only pumps and 6 dual fuel pumps while the Mobil has only 2 dual fuel pumps.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Try These Stations

In my corner of So. Cal I noticed D2 has dropped a couple cents since I got the JSW.

At the Shell I normally fuel at RUG $4.299, SUG $4.499 and D2 $4.439 and the closest competing station, a Mobil had D2 for $4.419.

The Shell has two D2 only pumps and 6 dual fuel pumps while the Mobil has only 2 dual fuel pumps.
:)

Should you happen to be up in the Ontario California area, try these stations:

The Union 76 at the Ontario Mills Maul, D2 is $4.319, their cash price.

At the Union 76 at Grove and Walmut just off the I-60, most of
the time, always the same as the station at the Ontario Mills Maul.

Good fuel and the lowest prices I know of in our the immediate areas for quality fuel.

It's not worth it to travel all that way from our area just to save
a few cents per gallon, but if you are in the area anyway . . .

When I'm 'in-the-area' and our CDI is low, I can save as
much as a couple of dollars per full tank, so why not? :confused:

:D

Derrel

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
From beautiful Baldwin County, Alabama, prices remain pretty steady. $3.99-4.199 is where diesel sits, as it has for the last few weeks.

Now here's something completely off the wall. We have one Shell station that's across from city hall here in Foley. They are competitive on regular and diesel ($3.839 and $4.079 respectively) but their midgrade and premium prices are sky high:

I've read here how Shell forces so many stations to sell diesel, which is why some Shells are sky high for diesel. But everyone carries midgrade and premium, so why is this so outlandishly high? The midgrade is about 35-45¢ more than other stations, and the premium is 48-68¢ higher.

It's so high, the GasBuddy website won't even accept submissions! :eek:

MKT

Veteran Member
TDI

Should you happen to be up in the Ontario California area, try these stations:

The Union 76 at the Ontario Mills Maul, D2 is $4.319, their cash price.

At the Union 76 at Grove and Walmut just off the I-60, most of
the time, always the same as the station at the Ontario Mills Maul.

Good fuel and the lowest prices I know of in our the immediate areas for quality fuel.

It's not worth it to travel all that way from our area just to save
a few cents per gallon, but if you are in the area anyway . . .

When I'm 'in-the-area' and our CDI is low, I can save as
much as a couple of dollars per full tank, so why not? :confused:

Derrel
I do get up to Ontario, CA on occasion. I keep those spots in mind since I don't mind saving a buck now and then. Thanks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Rug was down to 3.65 and d2 down to 3.97 at gates in tega cay this morning.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Best Deal for Good Fuel on the I-5

Filled up for $4.31 at Quick Trip in El Cajon. At least prices seem
to have stopped going up. RUG was $4.15 at Costco in Santee.

Just returned from a R/T to Sacramento.

Was full going up but need to fill on the way back yesterday.

There is a truck stop at Westley, California just off the I-5.

Joe's Travel Plaza. $4.299 and it is good fuel!

Prices at the other stations ranged from that low price of $4.299
up to the Shell station accross the freeway at $4.899.
I purchased 16.284 gallons @ $4.299 for $70 and figure I saved
$8.14 by not buying that high priced Shell fuel.

One wonders which place sells the most fuel. :confused:

IF you are on the I-5 headed North, you know where to go for D2.

Derrel

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Diesel's been a mixed bag around here. One or two stations have gone up as gas has risen, but several stations have fallen while gas has gone up. So the central Baldwin County leaderboard now looks like this:

RUG: $3.839-3.879
PRM: $4.039-4.649
DSL: $3.979-4.199

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Gas around here has come down significantly in the last few days. It's priced below diesel again at many stations. Currently, I'm seeing RUG ranging from $3.85-3.99. I'm seeing D2 prices ranging from $3.93-4.09. Diesel's starting to come down a little, but not as fast as gas.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
seen Sunday

Still an outlier -- but the spread continues to narrow, gradually.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Think the spread will continue to narrow into summer?
In past years I was tempted to make predictions about the date when diesel would be cheaper than RUG. One year I predicted May 15th and hit it right on the nose. Another year the spread widened instead of narrowing.

The fundamentals have changed so much over the last few years, that it's much harder to even make a prediction. Parts of the country are benefitting from cheaper oil from Canada and North Dakota, while others are paying $120+ for crude oil. In some parts of the country, refineries are running flat out and making good profits, but elsewhere refineries are shutting down because of huge losses. And the patterns of exports and imports have changed -- there is less cheap imported gasoline from Europe, and more exports of products to Mexico and Latin America.

One new factor: many power plants are switching from oil (and coal) to cheap natural gas. However, this will take many years.

But gasoline and distillates are still globally-traded commodities, and the seasonal price patterns are global and not just confined to the US. So if I had to guess, I'd say May and June should still be the months with diesel prices lowest compared to regular unleaded gasoline. And in some states diesel will be cheaper than RUG.

In early or mid July the spread should begin to widen again, in anticipation of heavy distillate consumption during the fall harvest and then during the winter heating season.

TDI
00 Golf
most states seem to charge around 5 or 6 cents more per gallon for d2 versus rug, so not exactly fair to compare pump prices. here, d2 is taxed slightly less than rug, and parity was reached (exceeded) april 1. i had predicted may 1. it was may 1 last year.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Filled up tonight at the Quick Chek. RUG was $3.71 and D2 was $3.95 and the prices were cash or charge.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
In the Denver Metro area D2 has settled at $3.849-3.99, RUG is $3.739-3.859, E-85 is $3.099-3.199. At more than a few stations that sell RUG and D2 the difference between the two has dropped to as little as $0.06-0.15 which hasn't been the case in at least 7 years in Colorado..............

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
10' Jetta TDi Cup Edition - 6M, 02' TDI Beetle - 5M
In the Denver Metro area D2 has settled at $3.849-3.99, RUG is $3.739-3.859, E-85 is $3.099-3.199. At more than a few stations that sell RUG and D2 the difference between the two has dropped to as little as $0.06-0.15 which hasn't been the case in at least 7 years in Colorado..............
Ain't it grand, some stations here have diesel cheaper than premium (what I "had" to put in when I drove a gasser, I put 85 in my Kawi ZX11)

Now all those whose math skills are sub par and ask me how it's more affordable to drive a diesel when the fuel is more expensive will now KNOW it's cheaper to drive a diesel ;)

MKT

Veteran Member
TDI
Just fueled this morning at my closest Mobil and diesel has dropped to $4.379, same price as their Mid-grade unleaded.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
And the patterns of exports and imports have changed -- there is less cheap imported gasoline from Europe, and more exports of products to Mexico and Latin America...
The USA is now the largest exporter of refined fuels in the world. Yes, you read that right.

If current energy trends continue, we may be completely energy independent by as early as 2020. There's a boom in both oil and natural gas production, and in overall energy efficiency.

Our percentage of imported oil peaked at about 65%, is now around 50%, and many predictions are for less than 25% imported oil in just the next few years.

Yes, the pattern of exports and imports has certainly changed!

An extended article on our changing energy future can be found in today's NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/b...ations.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=fuel to burn&st=cse

As TornadoRed pointed out, we're exporting a lot of diesel because of very strong world demand. It's one of the factors keeping diesel prices higher. In effect, when you're buying a gallon of diesel you're competing with buyers in Europe and Latin America for a commodity that's in high demand. Some areas of the country have "landlocked" local supplies not easily sold to foreign markets, and they may benefit from lower prices due to less world market competition.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The USA is now the largest exporter of refined fuels in the world. Yes, you read that right.
If the Jones Act was repealed, then more relatively-cheap fuel from the Gulf Coast could be shipped to the Northeastern states where it is in relatively short supply. That would reduce exports but it would reduce the prices of gasoline and distillates in those states.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, the US has been the leading supplier of finished fuel to the rest of the world for quite some time.

According to the article in USA Today, the gasoline prices have peaked and should now start dropping.