aaz pump vent valve leaking

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
Hi all
has anyone ever changed a ventvalve seal on the aaz pump ? The car is a 97 mexican jetta
1.9 idi diesel. The rubber sleeve located near the top of the injectionpump is spitting a drop every now and then. Am wondering if the seal can be replaced from the top cover and what precautions would have to be taken.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If it's the seal I'm thinking of you have to pull the pump top (LDA) and dismantle it completely to replace this seal. It's a tiny o-ring and the dripping is because the o-ring is allowing seepage into the diaphragm.

If it is this o-ring you need to fix it, the diaphragm is not something you want to have to find if yours fails.

Steve

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
IIRC, unfortunately it's also a special-order part *not* included in the Bosch standard VE pump rebuild kit.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
IIRC, unfortunately it's also a special-order part *not* included in the Bosch standard VE pump rebuild kit.
Correct, it does not come with the kits. I stopped by the local Bosch shop and they were kind enough to get me a couple. The guy knew exactly which seal was the problem.

If I can find a part # I will post it up.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
DGK 121 has that oring and the rest to reseal that pump. Personally, I don’t usually screw around and swap one seal at a time. Reseal the entire pump.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
DGK 121 has that oring and the rest to reseal that pump. Personally, I don’t usually screw around and swap one seal at a time. Reseal the entire pump.

-Todd
I stand corrected, forgot that the 121 was for TD pumps. I knew that 126 (or what ever number they call it now) did not have that o-ring.

And yes, it might be better to reseal the whole thing versus replacing just a single o-ring. Then again if it's not leaking then I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Steve