MK4 Jetta TDI Instrument Cluster Mod

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Is there a way to have the information displayed in the photo below, on a 2002 Jetta TDI? Do I need a later year cluster from another TDI or is this information center only available on gasser clusters?

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
The clusters with half fis (little red screen) are available on diesel and gasoline models.

There's also a full fis instrument cluster available (big red screen with more info)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I actually have a couple of extra ColorMFA boards that I got a few months ago but I haven't had time to assemble ones even for my own cars yet. Unfortunately they won't be cheap as it was $200 just to buy each board and it looks like a significant amount of labor to install one in an existing cluster. I'll post something to the vendor thread soon

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually have a couple of extra ColorMFA boards that I got a few months ago but I haven't had time to assemble ones even for my own cars yet. Unfortunately they won't be cheap as it was $200 just to buy each board and it looks like a significant amount of labor to install one in an existing cluster. I'll post something to the vendor thread soon
Can real time TPMS be done with these cluster if I have the TPMS sensors in the tires, would I need anything else?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI

Which stalk is needed to control these clusters? Or should I say which VWs have said stalk?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You are wanting an MFA cluster. In the USA, the only A4 platform cars sold here with that were GTI, GLI, and Jetta GLX models, maybe Jetta Wolfsburgs too. No diesels, although all B5 Passats got MFA, including the diesels.

You'd need to replace the wiper stalk as that controls it. Your car also will not have the outside temp sensor.

It is really just a simple trip computer, isn't anything special, not worth the hassle if you ask me, and the segments tend to either die off as the cars age or become invisible in the heat of summer.

Just gives you MPGs, instant and average, which you can figure out with better accuracy with a pen and paper anyway (or the calculator your smart phone already has). Distance to empty... again, who cares, you have a fuel gauge, and a TDI... it'll go a long way. Miles to empty, miles driven this trip... again, just parroting the same info you can see an inch over in the odometer. And time driven this trip. There is already a clock.

I never use it in either of the cars that I have with it. Although the outside temp is nice if the roads are possibly in the freezing surface range.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
What about Audi stalks? I have seen some 1999-2005 with MFA and wondered if that stalk would work. Pulled a pair of homelink visors out of an Audi the other day, think they probably need the same mod as the Passat visors. Also, where is the temp sensor?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your car has no temp sensor.

Cars that have them have them in various places. New Beetles are clipped to the bumper cover. B5 Passats are clipped to the power steering cooler tube in front of the condenser.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Your car has no temp sensor.

Cars that have them have them in various places. New Beetles are clipped to the bumper cover. B5 Passats are clipped to the power steering cooler tube in front of the condenser.
I know that my car does not have one. I was asking where they are in other cars with them.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you PM me more info on the ColorMFA boards?

dubrs.com