www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 21st, 2018, 16:17   #1
mt_mapper

Fuel Economy: 55/48/33
Default Intake buildup fix?

Hi, I haven't logged into the site here in years. I did an intake clean out on our 2003 at about 50,000 miles when my daughter was a wee tot. I'm just getting around to doing it again now with 135,000 miles and she'll be driving soon. I'm wondering if over that timespan anyone has come up with a reasonable way to stop the soot/carbon buildup from happening? We live in Montana so no exhaust testing here and it appears we'll be keeping the car forever.

The build up was of course pretty extreme. I'd sure rather not have to do this again!

Thanks
Old October 21st, 2018, 17:18   #2
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

There is a good chance that since you did the initial intake manifold cleaning that ULSD became mandated and the intake didn't get very gunked up again.
If it did, you may need to drive it a bit more "aggressively" after the next clean out and hopefully be the last one needed.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 17:46   #3
WildChild80
Veteran Member

EGR delete

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 19:45   #4
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

or the EGR dynamic tune.

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...gen/tdi/ve-tdi

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305248
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 20:02   #5
mt_mapper

My wife drives the car mostly so it won't be getting driven more aggressively.

What is the EGR delete? Is that a computer thing or actually disconnect the EGR? It seems like if you could plug the pipe from the exhaust manifold somehow that would do it.
Old October 21st, 2018, 20:26   #6
mt_mapper

Ok, I read up on the links. I think I get it.
Old October 21st, 2018, 20:31   #7
ktmkris
Veteran Member

Remove egr cooler and install block off plates. Plum crank case ventilation to atmosphere. There will nothing left to gunk up the intake. Good luck
ktmkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 10:54   #8
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Depending on local regulations, you can block off and tune out the egr or remove all the hardware, block off the holes(they sell kits for this) and tune it out so you can pass inspection.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:42   #9
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmkris View Post
Remove egr cooler and install block off plates. Plum crank case ventilation to atmosphere. There will nothing left to gunk up the intake. Good luck
If you delete the EGR there is no need to also re-plumb the CCV.
Only oil vapor and blow-by gasses will be introduced and neither will clog the IM.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:14   #10
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettawreck View Post
There is a good chance that since you did the initial intake manifold cleaning that ULSD became mandated and the intake didn't get very gunked up again.
If it did, you may need to drive it a bit more "aggressively" after the next clean out and hopefully be the last one needed.
Normally I'd agree - but I had one in a couple weeks ago that I cleaned maybe 50k ago / 4 years ago? It had significant buildup. Car has never had any other problems, but it driven like grandma is behind the wheel. Started getting overboost codes and when every single thing on "the list" checked out good, I pulled the EGR to look into the intake. Just a quick clean stopped it from going into limp mode so It'll be back in for another full clean.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 14:20   #11
ktmkris
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
If you delete the EGR there is no need to also re-plumb the CCV.
Only oil vapor and blow-by gasses will be introduced and neither will clog the IM.

You do realize crank case vapor is also mixed with oil vapor. I have had 6 tdi’s and venting ccv to atmosphere will make a oil drip here and there from the ccv pipe. If you have any blow by it goes through the ccv and burns in the engine. Let’s be honest, what tdi or diesel for that case doesn’t have a little blow by? Which would allow for more intake buildup.

I say remove all or nothing
ktmkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 18:24   #12
WildChild80
Veteran Member

The buildup comes from mixing the oil vapor with the soot from the exhaust through the EGR valve(way more than blow by), my 01 with a stout tune has 325k and I drive it hard from time to time. Every time I look in the boost pipes, there's a thin coat of oil and still shiny silver in the intake and race pipe.

I want to route the ccv out the down pipe one day but I've got a shifter to rebuild when I get time and I'm sure something else will need addressing and so the rat race goes

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 18:30   #13
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmkris View Post
You do realize crank case vapor is also mixed with oil vapor. I have had 6 tdiís and venting ccv to atmosphere will make a oil drip here and there from the ccv pipe. If you have any blow by it goes through the ccv and burns in the engine. Letís be honest, what tdi or diesel for that case doesnít have a little blow by? Which would allow for more intake buildup.
I say remove all or nothing
It is the particulate content of the EGR exhaust gasses mixed with the CCV oil vapor
that cakes on to the intake manifold and ports.
It's safe to say that the amount of particulates present in the CCV vapor alone is not
worth worrying about, at least based on my experience with an EGR delete.
I didn't care for the odor much when I tried a CCV delete on my ALH. The CCV is back on it.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 22:31   #14
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

look up generator "wet stacking"

the low combustion temperatures at cold idle makes for a very sticky carbon buildup in the exhaust manifold, that burns out once load is applied and the manifold gets hot enough to burn it back out. end of story on a generator, might cause some roof fires if the buildup gets heavy enough before it is burned out, but that's no big deal

On your engine however, EGR takes this sticky vapor and poops it into the intake.
The intake never gets hot enough to burn it back out.
Solutions? EGR delete
or just minimize the time the engine is idling unloaded cold. Hop in, start it and drive. Idling it to warm up is the worst thing you could do.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 14:58   #15
horn

I'm looking at deleting my egr cooler and egr (while still having the ASV).
Here is an example of plates and adapters. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...t/121287573012
horn is offline   Reply With Quote