Best diesel option in Canada?

Dydx

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Hello guys, got my new (well, new to me) TDI just this week and haven't filled up yet but I'm going to have to over the next couple of days.

In my area we have: Co-op, Esso, Irving, Canadian Tire, and North Atlantic Orange store as options for diesel (I think).

Just wondering if there are any differences amongst these stations or if it matters where you get diesel from ing eneral? I understand that it says low sulfur diesel but I have no idea which stations are low sulfur or if they are all the same. I guess I'm a little nervous/paranoid being my first fill up and all.

Hoping someone can chime in and shed some insight!

Cerberus

TDI
1999 Jetta
I have always used Irving and never had any problems and have never heard of others having any. Heard lots of bad things about Petro-Canada however.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
LONG thread there about Ontario diesel that basically says most diesel comes from the same place, only the aditives that get added are different based on client.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=288557

I only have experience with Shell since I'm using a fuel card and it's been ok, but I don't see it mentioned in you close-by stations...

Dydx

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Thanks guys for the quick responses. Going to fill up for the first time today!

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Years ago I was using Shell (without any fuel related issues) before their prices went crazy...
Now I fill up at an Irving commercial truck stop. It's been well over a hundred fill ups and no issues. Price is much better than any local "Gas Station".
The other "bonus" about using a truck stop is they are very busy and fuel volume turnover is not an problem. In other words the diesel doesn't sit in a holding tank for months before I pump it in my TDI. This is a big factor in the winter months.
Good Luck.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
...they are very busy and fuel volume turnover is not an problem...
I find that more important than anything else.

I used a busy Esso station before, but now I'm using Irving because moved to a new city. The Esso diesel was the nicest ever and I think it was only because there were plenty of trucks filling all the time there.

C00lit

TDI
2006 TDI BRM
I live in Montreal Quebec, I have not seen any Difference between gas from

Shell, Petro Canada, Esso or Ultramar.
Never had a diesel freezing, even at -30