Disposable Gloves: Rubber vs. Vinel

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Which glove will stand up to diesel, addives and the occasional splash of cetane boost?

------------------
Gregor Switca
-------------
1999.5 Jetta GL
1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4

Torque is a beautiful thing.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Rgoetz,

I think you're standing to close to the fuel filler if you're splashing diesel or additives on yourself there.

Switca,

My guess is that rubber would better resist any solvent action.

S

SkyPup

polyvinyl nitrile, if you don't want your skin adsorbing anything and the gloves not to melt.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
what skypup said.

Latex are permeable to Diesel fuel and Cetane boost likes to melt them.

Vinyl gloves are even more porous and prone to melting in deisel fuel adn the dissolve in Cetane boost and Power Service

Butyl rubber will generally be okay if thick enough

But the Nitrile gloves (polyvinyl) are the best. More expensive but still better.

However that said - to keep MOST of the diesel smell and oil goo off my hands I use 2 latex gloves (on one hand).

The stock room here has cases and cases of latex gloves and recently almost 2/3rds of the labs have had to ban latex due to violent and deadly reactions by a couple faculty memebers and grad students. And so I can get them cheap (you need another box of gloves Geoff? geesh you must be eating them)

the latex gloves doubled up work great for routine maintenace on the car and doing oil changes and the dirty type jobs. Put two gloves on when the outer one gets dirty peel it off and slip another one on hands stay clean. Provided you are not allergic to latex.

Warning the latex will NOT probive a CHEMICAL barrier only a barrier to the majority of the chemicals and oily dirt. If you have a skin allergy to diesel fuel or cetane boost choose a different glove material.

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeWilli:
Some states like Nj and Oregon are Full serve only I think, here in Michigan it is all self.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NJ is...at most gas stations. I buy diesel at a truck stop, out where the big rigs live. It's still self serve out there.

GotDiesel?:

Am i standing too close? Not quite. I'm filling up 5 Jerry cans (for the Jetta) when I top off the Dodge. It can get a little ugly.

------------------
Gregor Switca
-------------
1999.5 Jetta GL
1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4

Torque is a beautiful thing.

[This message has been edited by Switca (edited January 18, 2001).]

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
As a matter of interest, do the filling stations in the US & Canada provide plastic (polythene) gloves? Maybe a daft question, since probably not so many are self-service anyway... Nearly all the European ones are s/s. Just a thought.

- Richard

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
some places provide gloves - I have yet to got to a Full service station here or in Canada. There is one psuedo-full service around here but i don't use it much.

Some states like Nj and Oregon are Full serve only I think, here in Michigan it is all self.
Only one diesel place I saw had a glove dispenser and it never had any gloves in it when I was there.