What did you do to your MKIV today?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Yesterday, replaced: serp belt tensioner, idler roller + belt, thermostat (195F/90C) and coolant. Cabin heat is suddenly amazing. Hopefully my fuel economy gets a boost too.
Praying I didn't mess up and cause a bubble in the water jacket...pretty sure I got the whole block drained, but was able to add only 5.25L of new coolant (3L straight pentosin sf, and 2.25 distilled h2o). Overflow jug is a bit too full as well.:confused:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I installed the intake dog collar fix, purchased from idparts.com.

I decided on the idparts version instead of the KermaTDI version, because the idparts looked more factory and came with an OEM o-ring where as the KermaTDI version came with an aftermarket o-ring.

I don't really notice a drastic difference in performance, but I do hear less turbo woosh.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Took advantage of the Black Friday sale and purchased a Malone Stage 1.5 tune with dynamic EGR and a flashzilla, for my 2005 Jetta TDI BEW!

Can't wait for the increased torque!

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
...just installed the blue tinted wide angle side view mirrors.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Be careful using them when changing lanes. Objects are a LOT closer than they appear. (I warned my wife to be careful if she ever uses my Jetta)
Thanks for the heads up. I used to have a pair on my '13 Golf. However, the Jetta wagon doesn't have the blind spot that my Golf had. Not quite sure they're necessary on the wagon. It was a bit of a frivolous purchase.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
I also took advantage of the Malone Black Friday sale. I made the same purchase sriracha. Malone Stage 1.5 tune with dynamic EGR and a flashzilla, for my 2005 Jetta TDI BEW

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
How are they installed? Just glued on over the original mirrors?
I first rotated the existing mirrors all the way inward, then gently pulled on the edge of the mirror, furthest away from the car. The old mirrors pop right out. The new mirrors pop back in place. I had to be careful to line up the tabs, when reinstalling.

The mirrors are replacement mirrors, from ECS. They have a video on the page, demonstrating how to replace them. It's pretty easy. Just be careful removing the heating wires. One wire broke on me. I will need to attach a new female end, to complete the job.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I also took advantage of the Malone Black Friday sale. I made the same purchase sriracha. Malone Stage 1.5 tune with dynamic EGR and a flashzilla, for my 2005 Jetta TDI BEW

Nice! I'm excited to unlock the potential of the BEW motor. I'm not looking to race anyone, just wanted to improve acceleration a bit.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I first rotated the existing mirrors all the way inward, then gently pulled on the edge of the mirror, furthest away from the car. The old mirrors pop right out. The new mirrors pop back in place. I had to be careful to line up the tabs, when reinstalling.

The mirrors are replacement mirrors, from ECS. They have a video on the page, demonstrating how to replace them. It's pretty easy. Just be careful removing the heating wires. One wire broke on me. I will need to attach a new female end, to complete the job.

Thanks. I watched the video and the very first thing I saw was the OEM mirror was NOT properly adjusted! The was too much of the body visible in the mirror from the driver's seat.

I have mine adjusted properly so that as the vehicle is leaving the mirror, it is visible through the side windows.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Trust me you’re not going anywhere fast with a 1.5 tune, lol yea definitely don’t race anyone hahaa[emoji16]

Bajan

Buzz kill!!! Hopefully it’s at least a noticeable improvement over stock.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Picked up the '99.5 Golf at Kraftwerke after a fairly long visit:
  • New stereo head unit from Ali Express that looks like a VW double din
  • Fixed (finally!) the persistent ABS fault (broken wire in the harness)
  • New struts and shocks (OE, didn't like the Koni Yellows on this car)
  • New turbo (other new one got FOD from something after the engine failure)
  • Fixed a bunch of rattles in the dash/glove box/console. New console
  • Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering.

Car drives amazing. Rattles are gone, ride is much better, new turbo is more responsive. And man, it's quiet compared to my modified Wagon.

This weekend it gets an oil change, fuel filter, and perhaps a tire swap.

IBW got dropped off for some rust preventive work, new tail pipe, hatch latch fix, and rear door latch. It goes on...

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Picked up the '99.5 Golf at Kraftwerke after a fairly long visit:
  • New stereo head unit from Ali Express that looks like a VW double din
  • Fixed (finally!) the persistent ABS fault (broken wire in the harness)
  • New struts and shocks (OE, didn't like the Koni Yellows on this car)
  • New turbo (other new one got FOD from something after the engine failure)
  • Fixed a bunch of rattles in the dash/glove box/console. New console
  • Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering.

Car drives amazing. Rattles are gone, ride is much better, new turbo is more responsive. And man, it's quiet compared to my modified Wagon.

This weekend it gets an oil change, fuel filter, and perhaps a tire swap.

IBW got dropped off for some rust preventive work, new tail pipe, hatch latch fix, and rear door latch. It goes on...

I remember when that golf was in Braintree before the respray, and when it was all getting put back together by chill, wow man still looks amazing.
Peter who’s doing the rust preventative work on IBW ?
Reason I’m asking is, l need some rocker work done on my silver wagon.

Bajan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What is it about the Koni Yellows that you didn't like?
For me the ride was too firm. Lots of people like them, and I had them in my other '99.5 Golf I used for track days. They were OK in that car, but I plan to use this one for longer drives and wanted a softer ride. The OE dampers are pretty soft, I can tell you that. I'd forgotten.

Regarding the rust repair, Chris is going to pull the fenders and shoot some rust preventive into the rockers. They aren't rusted, yet, but the driver's side one is showing some deterioration. The passenger side one is pretty much OK, since that was repaired as part of the rust repair warranty claim I did on the car in '14.

I use Bay State Collision in Braintree. They're on Johnson Lane, off Pond Street, right near Chris's old shop. The principals (Kevin and Ray) are great guys and are willing to do rust repair, which is pretty unusual. Here's the Golf in process a couple years ago.

Rust repair isn't cheap, but if you love these cars it's worth it.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
For me the ride was too firm. Lots of people like them, and I had them in my other '99.5 Golf I used for track days. They were OK in that car, but I plan to use this one for longer drives and wanted a softer ride. The OE dampers are pretty soft, I can tell you that. I'd forgotten.

Regarding the rust repair, Chris is going to pull the fenders and shoot some rust preventive into the rockers. They aren't rusted, yet, but the driver's side one is showing some deterioration. The passenger side one is pretty much OK, since that was repaired as part of the rust repair warranty claim I did on the car in '14.

I use Bay State Collision in Braintree. They're on Johnson Lane, off Pond Street, right near Chris's old shop. The principals (Kevin and Ray) are great guys and are willing to do rust repair, which is pretty unusual. Here's the Golf in process a couple years ago.

Rust repair isn't cheap, but if you love these cars it's worth it.

Thanks for the info Peter.
I willing to pay to have it done, especially since its no longer my daily, so hopefully I can keep the salt off it .

Bajan

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
Buzz kill!!! Hopefully it’s at least a noticeable improvement over stock.
I'm not trying to be Fast. I'm just interested in a little more power and at the same time durability. 30+ hp increase should be fun.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
30 HP is probably a bit on the generous side but a mild tune is a nice bump. The only power mod on my '99.5 Golf is RC3 and it makes a big difference. Probably makes about 120/220 at the wheels.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
My old car, 99.5 TDI, all stock, felt like +30 hp with an RC-2, likely it was less.
It's crazy when I drive the stock and then drive the fast car. 90 hp goes a long way and that makes me wonder what the fast car makes. Hans is the slow stock car and Frans is the fast car...yes like Saturday night live...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed new hatch struts, made in Germany, aluminum:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Can you give a review of the head unit and ease or lack of ease in installation?
Here's the unit I bought: https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...&orderId=93704366709495&productId=32828213929

My guru installed it and he said it was easy. The unit comes with an adapter which allows the backlighting to work. It probably needed an antenna adapter, as all aftermarket stereos do on older VWs, but I already had one in the car. This unit is supposed to work with steering wheel controls, by my car doesn't have them so I can't vouch for that.

Unit works great, so far. I haven't used the bluetooth, but the phone connection is easy and quick. Illumination exactly matches the rest of the dash lighting.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Last month: Replaced #3 glow plug in the wagon
Last week: Replaced #4 glow plug in the wagon
Today: Replaced leaking coolant temp sensor in the wagon

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Did this last week.
- oil change at 10.5K miles with Rotella T6. Sending a sample off to Blackstone labs for analysis to see how my 350K miles ALH engine is doing
- Cleaned battery terminals and grounds. Everything already looked good but earlier in the week had an episode of all the dash and head lights flickering, the ABS light flashing on briefly and 3 chimes going off. It did this a few times that night.
- new air filter. Forgot to write down when I replaced it last. Still looked good but the car feels much better driving wise now.
- cleaned the snow screen - looked pretty clean. Do I really need this for So. Cal?

Going to pick up some spare electrical parts to have on hand (109 relay, voltage regulator/brush assy for the alternator)