www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old November 14th, 2018, 07:24   #1
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank
Default New phishing scam?

Generally speaking, I never sell our cars or trucks, we drive them until they are all used up. BUT: my wife inherited my Mother's Venza, and it is a vehicle for which we really have no use. So, I put it up on Kijiji and Auto Trader.

I was pleased to get some genuinely interested replies right away, but the next morning, I got a really strange call from a local number. The obviously NAC (Newly Arrived Canadian) started by introducing himself as "Alex", and I found that to be an odd way to open an inquiry about a used car. He asked a lot of questions (all of which were already answered in the add) sounding as if he was going down a list and had some reference material for what items would be in each option or feature. OK, maybe that's how he does his research, but I am hearing other calls going on in the background - and it starts to look like a call center. He ends the call with some comment about really wanting the V6. I tell my wife I think I had a phishing call, but can't figure out that using only the info in the add (includes VIN) what the scam is.

I get two more calls that day from different people with same MO. Cut them short. Hmmmmm. Caller ID on both wrong.

Well, this morning, "Alex" (yeah, right) calls back at 05:50 local so I know the caller is using a spoofed number. This time he is sobbing that there is some kind of disaster in his life and he needs to come over to buy our car. I won't put our actual address on Kijiji (used a nearby fake for this very reason) so I tell "Alex" that I will come and pick him up, just give me your address. His English is so bad, I can't make out much of what he is trying to say, so he puts someone else on - who of course can not tell me what city he is in. I guess they figured out that the gig is up, so they hung up.

I tried to keep them around long enough to figure out the scam, but no soap. Anyone have any idea what this one is and how it plays out?
4L='14 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 07:33   #2
mohawk69
Veteran Member

Probably, ultimately, he would buy your car for an agreed amount. Perhaps $10k. He'll tell you to cash the cashiers check. He will want you to cash the $12k check and send him the difference so he can pay the shippers that will come and pick up the car and ship it to him. Of course, a week or two later the bank will contact you regarding the fraudulent check. The bank will want the money back and while you still have the car, you're out the $2k. It's a problem that the gov't could easily fix but they seem unwilling.
mohawk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 08:51   #3
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk69 View Post
Probably...
Did not seem like such a setup, but since I couldn't get more out of them, I don't know.
4L='14 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Old November 15th, 2018, 05:40   #4
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Could be any kind of scam. Similar to above, but it is better not to find out. You are correct in thinking it is a phishing scam and they're trying to get you to give up any kind of personal information they can use to steal from you.

Just ignore the calls and move on.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 08:29   #5
KLXD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk69 View Post
Probably, ultimately, he would buy your car for an agreed amount. Perhaps $10k. He'll tell you to cash the cashiers check. He will want you to cash the $12k check and send him the difference so he can pay the shippers that will come and pick up the car and ship it to him. Of course, a week or two later the bank will contact you regarding the fraudulent check. The bank will want the money back and while you still have the car, you're out the $2k. It's a problem that the gov't could easily fix but they seem unwilling.
Is anyone that stupid?

Why does he need to send the shipping money to the seller only to have it sent back to him?

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 17:44   #6
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

got another call today. they seem to have a pattern. Introduce themselves, try to sound like a buyer, can hear the call center noise in background, claim they are nearby, etc. Accents seem to be Filipino. Got the caller to claim they were a "vehicle location business". Since I am pretty sure they are offshore, just hung up as there would be no way the RCMP will investigate out of country.
Old November 16th, 2018, 16:57   #7
mohawk69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
Is anyone that stupid?
Why does he need to send the shipping money to the seller only to have it sent back to him?

You're unfamiliar with the Nigerian scams? They've been around a long time.
mohawk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 15:50   #8
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

One of the oldest scams around. Obviously some people are stupid enough to fall for it else why would this be still around.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 19:38   #9
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Pulled the adds on Friday (car sold), but the bogus calls just keep on coming!

In the end, I got ONE legitimate call from Autotrader add, and dozen or so from Kijiji. Unfortunately half the Kijiji calls were not buyers (you only need one, but speaking with all kinds of scammers is just such a waste of time).
Old November 25th, 2018, 18:00   #10
atikovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dolan View Post
Unfortunately half the Kijiji calls were not buyers (you only need one, but speaking with all kinds of scammers is just such a waste of time).
Just don't put your phone number in your ad, at least not your cell. If a buyer can't bother to email you, they aren't very serious to begin with.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote