Searching for a 2015

unsung

TDI
Passat, Jetta
I am looking at 2015's and I had a question on the suspension. I read that the S (non-TDI) had a thinner diameter (50mm) front shock tower and that the SE and SEL (non-TDI) had a thicker one (55mm). This also said that the TDI had a 55mm. So I can't figure out if the TDI S has a 50 or 55.

I don't want the chrome trim on the doors but it appears that it is a rather cheap part to replace so any difference between the S and the SE/SEL other than bells and whistles?

I don't want to get into a situation where I find that there is a large aftermarket of parts but that they won't fit the TDI S but will fit the other two trim levels.

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NCS Jetta in S trim (2.slo or later 1.4L) has a totally different front carrier, because they still use the smaller brakes. So even if the strut itself is thinner (which it may be) it has no difference on the TDI since the TDI uses the same medium sized brakes that the 2.5L or 1.8t gas engine uses.

unsung

TDI
Passat, Jetta
Thanks. Now I just need to decide which trim level that I really want and if to go CPO or not.

I am leaning CPO and just going with an S. I can upgrade the audio system myself. I just don't know if I want the climate controls to be non auto.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
CPO largely means nothing these days, except for a price premium.

The TDIs will already have the fix done and therefore will have the extended emissions warranty on them. This warranty covers a plethora of items for many, many years and miles.

I'd opt for a nicely equipped model with lower miles, could care less about "CPO."

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This is pretty confusing. 2015 Golf TDIs (both hatch and GSW) have 50mm struts, regardless of trim level. Jetta Sedans and NBs have 55mm. It doesn't really matter, aside from getting replacements that will fit.

We struggled a bit with Koni to get the rear shocks for the '15 Golf, as that rear suspension is unique to the TDI in NA. But they decided to bring them over.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
CPO largely means nothing these days, except for a price premium.
Not really true. I got my '15 Passat CPO'd because of the frequency of clock spring failures on that car. And I don't recall if the heater core is covered elsewhere, but I was concerned about that too. And it's nice to know that any of the interior features including infotainment are covered.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
CPO is also 2 years/unlimited miles bumper to bumper.
I know that, just am not sure that there isn't a TSB or extended warranty on the heater core because of all the troubles VW's had with the Passat's.