Mk7 sunroof leak

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
I’m very impressed with the mk7 Golf sunroofs... I can’t find any threads about leaks on a Golf. (I did find a few threads about the GSW sunroof.)
Has any one had to correct a leak in their Golf sunroof? Any fixes known?
My ‘15 Golf was leaking into the cabin from the cabin light controls at the front of the sunroof during a recent rain.
If you know of a thread about this subject, please share.
Thanks.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
No knowledge of any hatchback threads, but my GSW had a partially detached sunroof weather strip (between the glass and sunroof frame) at the front edge of the sunroof frame that looked as though it might have caused at least a wind leak if not a water leak.

This is probably not relevant to your issue, but at least its easy to check and fix and its in a relevant area.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
bumping this old thread. my sunroof is leaking pretty bad, and cant get to the bottom of it. any ideas??

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
This thread is a joke right? The MK7 sunroofs are plagued with problems: https://reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/6vdjs8/mk7_gti_panoramic_sunroof_frame_update_60c7/

And a DIY: https://reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/7xnk8v/how_to_fix_a_leaking_mk7_gti_sunroof/

There 100% should be a recall for this and not just a mandatory service bulletin. For those unaware, the frame around the sunroof will develop fractures from weather-related expansion and contraction. There is a “must be performed” service bulletin to apply adhesive stickers and silicone around the frame to hopefully prevent leaking when the inevitable fractures occur.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
My frame is being replaced right now and thats after the BS patches and clogged tube repairs.

Picaroon

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
are you under any type of warranty?
Under extended warranty.. The first time they said they fixed it they charged the warranty company over $1500 to "make repairs" and replace the head liner. This go around they are replacing the frame assembly and headliner again to the tune of $3500 :eek: They just called a little wile ago and said it was done... It took 8 days.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
This thread is a joke right? The MK7 sunroofs are plagued with problems: https://reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/6vdjs8/mk7_gti_panoramic_sunroof_frame_update_60c7/
And a DIY: https://reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/7xnk8v/how_to_fix_a_leaking_mk7_gti_sunroof/
There 100% should be a recall for this and not just a mandatory service bulletin. For those unaware, the frame around the sunroof will develop fractures from weather-related expansion and contraction. There is a “must be performed” service bulletin to apply adhesive stickers and silicone around the frame to hopefully prevent leaking when the inevitable fractures occur.
A word of caution. Do not apply Silicone sealant to the cracks prior to applying the repair stickers as was recommended in the DIY. Silicone will cause any sort of sticker or tape to not adhere properly. More likely, the sealant specified or supplied in the repair kit was some sort of paintable Butyl sealant like what is used to seal body seams during manufacturer.

Silicone should never be used on body work because it supports microbiological growth, is not paintable and contaminates any surface it comes in contact with so that adhesive or paint will not stick in the future. If you need the correct automotive sealant for body work, go to an auto body supply. They will sell you the right stuff.

Last edited:

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
so.. it seems my car has had the "repair stickers" previously applied. i found no other cracks in the frame.

also, checked both front drains and they are clear.

any other ideas as to why i get rained on? :(

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Where specifically are the stains? Have the tube end valves been removed?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Where specifically are the stains? Have the tube end valves been removed?

in the corner of the headliner (left and right) of where the overhead console is.

not sure about tube end valves, this is the first (and last) sunroof i have and will ever own.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
in the corner of the headliner (left and right) of where the overhead console is.
not sure about tube end valves, this is the first (and last) sunroof i have and will ever own.
Sounds like a good plan. I do not understand how anyone could find an option that may add $thousands to a car's maintenance an awesome thing.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Will never own anything with a pano roof again. My wife drives a Mk7 GTI with a pano roof. Entire sunroof frame was replaced under warranty, cost would have been over $4000.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Im sure some for of sealer to just seal the sun roof to the roof would be a good option instead of $4000. Im thinking Permatex.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
I absolutely hate sunroofs. If I could have bought an S with a lighting package and heated seats, I would have instead of buying my SEL.

If I start having sunroof problems out of warranty, I'm going to look in to having a body shop eliminate the sunroof all together.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I absolutely hate sunroofs. If I could have bought an S with a lighting package and heated seats, I would have instead of buying my SEL.

If I start having sunroof problems out of warranty, I'm going to look in to having a body shop eliminate the sunroof all together.
THIS. lighting package got me.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
im considering wrapping the roof in black vinyl, which will solve 2 problems for me hopefully..

1- no more sunroof leaks since one sheet of vinyl can cover the whole roof
2- no more light in through the stupid perforated shade

guess i just need to disable the sunroof and i am good to go :)

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
im considering wrapping the roof in black vinyl, which will solve 2 problems for me hopefully..

Thats probably the best idea to permanently resolve the issue.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Great idea :D heck half of the roof is black anyway. Mine doesn't leak yet but I've only owned it about two months but its just been sitting in the garage but doesn't have any stains on the headliner. After reading all these post I'm a little bit concerned. My old 98 Jeep started to leak and I cleaned all the drains with not luck. I ended up running a bead of silicone around the sunroof and never had an issue after that. I don't want to do that on this car but would consider a wrap if I start to run into any issues with leaks.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI

Great idea. How durable is the vinyl, would it require a rewrap every so often?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i would assume durable enough to last a few years at minimum. beats an out of warranty sunroof repair.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
I was planning on doing the limo tint on the suroof to eliminate the sun coming in so the vinyl will kill two birds with one stone. I got my CPO car in September so I probably have about a year on warranty. I may forgo the window tint and just have the vinyl done this spring and be done with it regardless if it is still under warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I like the sun coming thru. Brightens up the car.
Depends where you live. In Texas you want to cut all the sun you can most of the year. I use the Hüper Optik C70 on all sides and IIRC the KLAR85 is permissible on the whole windshield. Still lets in enough light to see along with the factory tint and meet the rules here. This stuff works very, very good!

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
I did a limo tint on my MKVII sunroof. It was too bright in the cabin even with the shade drawn. It also seems to help keep the car much cooler in the summer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
With all the trouble possible with them I just chose not to have one this time. Don't miss it at all really. Also didn't like the howl noise it made when open unless you cracked a window slightly. I enjoyed it the most on nice nights to open and see the night sky above. My 1999 328ic BMW convertible was great for this. But replacing the convertible top was a huge labor intensive chore.