2012 Passat won't start - Help, please.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I have a 57K mile 2012 Passat SEL that is being bought back by VW. The car has been stored for about a month and started a week ago. Today it started the car and let it run for about 10 minutes. I then shut it down and went in for lunch. When I came back out, nothing at all happened when I pushed the start button. Everything else seemed to work except items that needed the ignition on. No dash light or anything. Also, the radio needed a code to turn on. I did the following to try to get the car to start:

Checked all fuses inside the car and under the hood.
Checked the battery and even gave a 200 amp boost a try.
Disconnect and reconnected the battery.
Put new battery in remote. Did a code reset. Doors lock/unlock fine.
Held remote up against steering column in emergency position.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try or what’s wrong? I really don’t want to spend any money on the car but it needs to be running when turned in. I’ve already accepted the buyback offer and I’m awaiting a turn in appointment.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Car also will not start using remote start. Doors lock okay and remote shows remote start signal sent but nothing happens....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Two questions: how much fuel is in the tank? Are you pressing hard on the brake pedal?

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
5 gallons of fuel pushing very hard on brake pedal. Dash does not light up like it used to before pushing brake pedal.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So the ignition isn't turning on when you press the start button? If not, the button itself may have failed. More than one person has had that happen so far. If you can get the ignition to come on, do a full scan with VCDS to check for trouble codes.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Try a known good battery. Sometimes they won't go, even with a boost.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Okay, put in a new battery. Still nothing happens when I push the start button. No lights, no sounds, nothing. Is there somehting that needs to be reset?