Ball Joints, and what else?

trackrabbit

TDI
2002 VW Golf
I was going to replace my ball joints last week, but my alternator crapped out so I had to do that instead.

I ordered the ball joints, and tie rod ends, and I read the how-to on ball joints. He did a nice job on the photos and explanations by the way.

Now I'm thinking, since I have to compress the springs and all, I might as well put new shocks in while I'm at it. It can use them as well, but I was going to wait a few months.

My car is an '02 with 206,000 miles on it. Would it be wise to replace the whole strut, I mean do those springs loose some of their tension over time?
Also, while I'm at it, what other parts should I replace? I can see I might as well replace the control arm bushings. Anything else?

Your input is appreciated,

Frank

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Control arm bushings, strut mounts with bearings along with what you said will have you ride nicely. Don't forget an alignment after.

Dorsal

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf gls F350 Crew 7.3l 2002 gls bone stock
Might take a look at your sway bar bushings as well, they can degrade over time.

trackrabbit

TDI
2002 VW Golf
Okay, I finally got around to starting on this. I replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends, but when I went to remove the control arm, the rear bolt came loose and kept spinning. Is there a nut welded inside, and all I had to do was pry the bolt out with a screw driver or something? It don't matter now because I forgot to order the bushings, but I want to change them next time I get a surge of ambition. I'll be driving out to Montana in June where I have a friend with a lift and a full shop. I'll probably do it there. In the mean time, I'll get a wheel alignment and hopefully I'll get there on my old tires, or if they look like they are about to blow up, I'll get some used tires to get there, then buy new ones once I get the front end in order.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I am also interested in doing my suspension but unsure if I should replace the springs also.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I thought the weld nut issue was only on the front LCA bolt? I think the DIY oldpoopie did for fixing that issue was only on the front, anyway.

rudall42

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03, NB 05
lower control arm, you need to hold the nut that secures the bolt for rear bushing...

you need a 18 mm wrench. an offset one with a bend in it is best.

that enables you to hold the nut while you are loosening the bolt.

the nut is in a bit of an awkward position. the good news is that once you have a wrench on it, the wrench will counterhold by itself, wedging against the frame