www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old December 7th, 2010, 16:54   #91
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
And the other Porsches are any different!? Read the title of this thread.

I believe that Porsche will offer a TDI, because they already do in the Cayenne. And putting one in a smaller package sounds great!
They might, but not in North America. It would be nothing short of amazing if Porsche offers any TDI in NA. The title of the thread doesn't mention the expensive, elite, niche brand reality of Porsche. With VW at the helm, things could change, but extremely unlikey for NA (like water in the Sahara, made of that elusive material... unobtainium!).

Subaru does way outsell Porsche in the US. Maybe it would have made sense for Subaru to sell the the boxer diesel here instead (now there is an idea!). There is a pretty extensive dealer network and lots of brand loyalty.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; December 7th, 2010 at 16:57.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 17:24   #92
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTDI View Post
It is quite easy with a brand new low end BMW or MB to find yourself stuck in the passing lane as a faster car magically appears and needs to brake while you complete your pass while floored at the governed 116 or 126 mph, even in the 135 mph models. It's also a ticketable offense and many German drivers will take your plate number and report you if you're abusing the lane in their eyes.

I've never been stuck passing too long, but I've had a number of cars appear out of nowhere at over 150 mph and way above. Stop at one of the rest stops off the autobahn between Frankfurt and the direction of Austria/Switzerland and you will see, and hear, engines screaming at levels little different than a race track in most every weather/light condition. Amazing.

I spent a decade on the continent living in four different countries and the most remarkable thing road wise was how dramatically different each nations driving habits were. German autobahn driving was the best, few other nations drivers would be disciplined enough to pull off unlimited speeds on those stretches (fewer and fewer sections are unlimited each year by the way).

The difference between most every car in America and much of high-speed Europe? In America our wrecking yards are filled with rusted body's and widely available, pullable engines. In Europe, the opposite, very little rust and tired motors. (part of that are the "safety inspections" seemingly written by new car dealers in which, as in the Netherlands, a little bit of surface rust near a headlight will fail you - and don't even think about perforation anywhere...)
Indeed driving is DRAMATICALLY different in and between states. This is just a snap shot, but heading south from a major city here in CA I was going 80/85 in the #4/4 lanes. You would think I was going 40/45 on a 65 mph freeway!!?? I guess the real wake up call was I was passed by a CA Highway Patrol on a motor bike !!??
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 18:02   #93
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

I think the Porsche boss is out of his mind to make the statement he made. I also understand that to him, it isnt sensible to make a Porsche diesel. Thats fine. In my opinion, a company that makes dinosaur cars that took billions to perfect into modern cars, and should have simply built modern cars, cannot make statements like he made. Let me explain. the 911 base is a ridiculous design. However the Germans are masters at making silly designs work(look at the rotary, the g lader etc). A Porsche would not be a Porsche were it not a quirky oddly engineered machine. Certainly they could have designed a mainstream sensible super car, but it would not play to the ears of their primary audience. The Porsche cars are fantastic even if they are based on dinosaurs. So....moving forward, diesel technology is sensible for the Cayenne. It would even make sense for an ultra high torque super cars (like the R10tdi engine). It would give them a "green" vehicle which was still very fast and powerful...yet easy to drive as well.

Will they build diesels? Unlikely in the cars. And lets face it, unless there is a SERIOUS market for it, why would they? Porsche should stick to high dollar quirky cars because thats what made Porsche cars famous. Let Audi and the VW group make the more "affordable" sports cars and the more "sensible" ones. A company like Porsche can certainly overcome any emissions issues(they are an engineering firm after all). They can also build whatever the market wants...and the market wants high dollar quirky sports cars and overweight SUV's....so thats what they make.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 19:40   #94
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

It could be said that the Wankel and the G-lader both didn't work for the Germans.

(The only reason the Wankel is around today is because of Mazda, whose closest connection to Germany is through Ford. Although, they did license the design from NSU, who ultimately became part of VAG, and after the NSU Ro80 and VW K70 failed, everything except for styling was promptly forgotten about. And, as for the scroll supercharger... not sure that anyone uses that now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:46   #95
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

Mazda didnt get the rotary to work either? Know anything about the "never starts when you need it to Renesis"? The Germans got it to work.....not perfectly, but work. Remember the wankel was a supercharger ...not an engine. They then converted it. The G lader design is still in use as an air compressor.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:47   #96
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Of course, I guess the wankel is successful as an engine that is expected to make 3 revolutions in its life, it's used as the seatbelt pretensioner in many VAG and Daimler products.

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old December 8th, 2010, 17:04   #97
SuburbanTDI
Veteran Member

And that sir, is an awesome piece of trivia.

I would have lost a beer betting against the VW or MB Wankel. Here is a bit more on the ToofTek Tensioner and the mini-combustion Wankel:

Quote:
Perhaps the most exotic use of the Wankel design is in the seat belt pre-tensioner system[57] of some Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen cars. In these cars, when deceleration sensors sense a potential crash, small explosive cartridges are triggered electrically and the resulting pressurized gas feeds into tiny Wankel engines which rotate to take up the slack in the seat belt systems, anchoring the driver and passengers firmly in the seat before a collision
SuburbanTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 17:43   #98
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

And, IIRC, they debuted in the Mk4 Golf (including Jetta/Bora and New Beetle) for VW.

So, many people on this forum have a diesel-wankel car.

Quote:
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:16   #99
Abismo

TDI(s): WRX :)
Fuel Economy: <insert unamused face here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post

Subaru does way outsell Porsche in the US. Maybe it would have made sense for Subaru to sell the the boxer diesel here instead (now there is an idea!). There is a pretty extensive dealer network and lots of brand loyalty.
Diesel foz would be awesome
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:30   #100
Marley

TDI(s): none

I don't believe in Porsches. They are fictional.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:42   #101
Jack_Berry
Veteran Member

porsche wants to hold up gt racing world wide by continuing to offer the flat 6. 2 years ago they cried we cannot expand the 3.8 for more power. late 2010 appears the new 4.0 gt racer. as long as gt engine regs are set up around the performance of the ancient outdated flat engine there is no reason for porsche to actually offer a gt car in diesel or a vee design.

02 galactic blue jetta, auto4spd, monsoon, heated seats , monster mats, tdiheater , evolution plate , dieselgeek oil bypass, pp520's
posting in central time, two hrs later, than the time on the post.

Jack_Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:19   #102
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

There's nothing inherently wrong with a boxer-6 layout. In fact, it balances out better compared to any V-layout without resorting to the use of balance shafts and has a lower CoG and shorter, stiffer crankshaft than an inline-6.

Teams will always exploit the rules in order the gain the greatest competitive advantage. There's no technological limitation from a Diesel GT in (A)LMS nor an oil-burning boxer engine. There's just no scope for it in the current rules. That being said, the Diesel prototype class and the rules that came out of it 5 years ago did not just appear out of vacuum. Audi and Peugeot pitched the idea of a Diesel class to the ACO. If a Diesel GT- or Touring class gathers momentum with a few key teams, we will certainly see it.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:56   #103
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_1er_diesel View Post
Journalists like it, apparently it's very good. However, people are not buying it in large quantities, because then you'd have to have a Subaru... which means you'll have to put up with a TINY dealer network.
That was my problem in the early 80's living in central Iowa. Few authorized Subaru mechanics and even fewer backyard mechanics that new how to work on them. It took me a month to get a new speedometer cable when mine broke. Good thing it was a standard and I knew where the tach should be for each gear to match the speed limits. I think it was two weeks for a clutch cable. Tranny rebuild at about 70K miles......

I looked at a new Subaru in 2005 and decided against it because the 2.5 engines all required premium. Sure it was posted at 25 IIRC but only with 90+ octane. Didn't make sense at the time to trade in a low mpg truck that ran on reg for a slightly higher mpg car that ran on premium. Cost of fuel differential probably made up for difference in mileage. I understand the 2010 and 2011 models now use regular.

Last edited by kjclow; January 19th, 2011 at 09:23.
kjclow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:14   #104
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Can we stay on topic please...
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:44   #105
Abismo

TDI(s): WRX :)
Fuel Economy: <insert unamused face here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I looked at a new Subaru in 2005 and decided against it because the 2.5 engines all required premium. Sure it was posted at 25 IIRC but only with 90+ octane. Didn't make sense at the time to trade in a low mpg truck that ran on reg for a slightly higher mpg car that ran on premium. Cost of fuel differential probably made up for difference in mileage. I understand the 2010 and 2011 models now use regular.
2.5 turbocharged yes... all the N/a engines run on regular.