Front rotor wear after 6,500 miles

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
When I was changing out to snow tires/rims I noticed the front rotors on my GSW are wearing unevenly on the outer inch or so on the front rotors. They show definite odd wear patterns and becoming very uneven. The right side is worse than the left, way more brake dust on the calipers on the right too but both sides show uneven wear. Running my fingernail over the rotors and they are really wavy. Mind you I bought one of the "new" 2015 GSW's in May and I have only 6,500 miles on the OD.
Is this something related to the ABS or ESC system or just plain bad rotors/pads from the factory?
Any chance the dealer will replace? I don't notice any shaking, but I fear I will very soon.
Thanks,
Paul

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
I also bought in May. Took it back with a couple hundred miles on it. Told Service Dept. That I did not like looks of front Rotors. They changed out front Rotors & Pads. Rears have always looked fine.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
I also bought in May. Took it back with a couple hundred miles on it. Told Service Dept. That I did not like looks of front Rotors. They changed out front Rotors & Pads. Rears have always looked fine.
I took mine in this AM. They said it looks like you picked up a rock between the rotor and caliper and wore a groove in the rotor...I said BS. I would have heard it, and why is it occurring on both sides? They refused to do anything about it and sent me on my way.

Might be time to call VWOA.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I took mine in this AM. They said it looks like you picked up a rock between the rotor and caliper and wore a groove in the rotor...I said BS. I would have heard it, and why is it occurring on both sides? They refused to do anything about it and sent me on my way.
Might be time to call VWOA.
Yes, call them! Ridiculous... a rock, on BOTH sides?? :confused: :cool:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My golf s had slt pitted rotors when I got it, made them change pads and rotors at 200 miles. Warranty is 12/12 on brakes.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Seems to me I read in the manual or somewhere the calipers apply a light pressure to "wipe" the rotors of water/debris. Don't remember if it's constant, occasional or just when you first take off. If thats the culprit, I think it can be disabled in vcds.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems to me I read in the manual or somewhere the calipers apply a light pressure to "wipe" the rotors of water/debris. Don't remember if it's constant, occasional or just when you first take off. If thats the culprit, I think it can be disabled in vcds.
It is surely not the issue, though you are correct, they do automatically wipe the rotors. The problem is these cars sat for close to 2yr and while they were "supposed" to be driven and "serviced" every 30 days, the braking system (pads and then rotors) did not fare so well. They were all supposed to have what essentially amounts to a brake job (leveling of the pads and re-bedding) before delivery but many did not. I'm experiencing the same issue and have an appointment next week to have rectified.

I actually bought my car off the show room floor, same day, so didn't realize all the things that really should have been done before happily driving off into the sunset. I do still absolutely love this car and for me, I have a great relationship with the dealership and service department so I'm sure it'll get handled properly.

I had 230k on my fronts and had only changed the rears at 215k on my 09 Jetta TDI (with no issues at all), you could say I'm not all that hard on my braking system. ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I'm active duty military and deploy up to 3 months at a time, usually my wife drives all the cars to keep them limber, but this time she had a intercooler iceup and ended up with the car parked in the driveway for 2 months, the rotors got very rusty, the car would not move at all when I first tried. While the brakes sorta cleaned up the damage was done, the rotors were bad enough they used up pads that were probably still half good in the next 5000 miles. new pads and rotors are easy to do on the front I got all 4 corners from ID Parts takes a few hours for the average home gamer.

My wife has a buyback 2015 golf, its brakes are fine, guess either it was stored better, or they prepared it better, it did look very clean underneath.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Took mine in today and they gave me a Alltrack loaner that is nice to have in place of my beloved TDI. Front rotors and pads are being replaced and I should have car back on Thursday as they had to order parts.

My dealer is actually VERY good.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Took mine in today and they gave me a Alltrack loaner that is nice to have in place of my beloved TDI. Front rotors and pads are being replaced and I should have car back on Thursday as they had to order parts.

My dealer is actually VERY good.

Can you explain how you convinced the dealer to replace the rotors and pads?

Mine is un willing to do anything.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you explain how you convinced the dealer to replace the rotors and pads?
Mine is un willing to do anything.
I didn't have to do too much convincing to be honest. My service department is ridiculously service oriented. I told them what the problem was, I had worked with a tech to try and resolve without wasting my time coming in (if I could sort it out with some aggressive emergency stops) and when that didn't work, I took it to them. I explained to my service rep the problem, hoped in the Alltrack loaner and went on with my day. They called and let me know that they took it up with VWoA and everything was going to be taken care of.

My dealer, in particular, serviced the stop-sale TDI's they had every month, took great care of them for the 2yr they had them and refused to even take cars from other dealers inventory because they knew exactly what the history was of their cars.

If your local dealer isn't going to work with you, go to another. Maybe you should call VWoA Care and talk to them, let them know the full situation AND how the dealer you went to is treating you/this situation. Catching a rock between BOTH front rotors is such a ridiculous diagnosis for the obviously bad rotors/pads that are known to be an issue on these cars that sat for years waiting to be sold.

Did you buy the car from that dealership as new? Can they provide you with documentation that the required, by VW, pre-delivery services were done? Here is the post that shows the detailed information >>>>>>> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5320495&postcount=954

Last edited: