MIB1 Dead; 2015 GSW SEL

Rcbamm

TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW SOLD. 2015 Golf TDI VW boughtback. Own: 15 GSW TDI. 99.5 Jetta TDI
Well,
I picked up my second 2015 TDI last friday. First one was the first new car I ever bought brand new. 2015 Golf TDI SEL 6 speed MT. Loved the car, but two weeks after owning it VW announced it's whole emissions scandal :( Drove it for 44k miles then returned it.. got all my money back.
Anyways, waited about a year and was iffy about purchasing another 2015 TDI. Found a GSW SEL DSG with 10k miles on it at Offleaseonly.com for $19K with a clean car fax. Drove it, loved it, bought it. Car had no issues..
Day 3, got in it to drive home from work and the infotainment system wouldn't turn on. Tried resetting it multiple times and with every reset the VW Logo Splash screen would come on for about 3 seconds then screen goes black. I checked all the fuses with no defects noted. I disconnected the battery for approx 5 minutes, reconnected and still same discrepancy as described above no matter how many times I reset it. However, at first battery reconnect. I got multiple warning lights in the dash for the ESC and TPS Warning, along with the steering wheel amber light. Disconnected the battery again and let it sit for about 5 hours. Connected it and all the warning lights extinguished yet the infotainment system still will not load past the VW splash screen. Randomly throughout my drive the VW Logo boots on its own for about 3 seconds, still won't load. The instrument cluster display for Nav, Radio and Phone all say "System unavailable" (Not exact quoting here)
Any one else have the same issue? I have an appointment with VW dealer Wednesday morning. 10k miles on it and still have a little less than a year before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out. Hopeing VW dealer will fix it quickly. Absolutely love the car.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Glad you’re still under b2b warranty. I am not familiar with a similar issue. All I can add is that I made the mistake of purchasing my GTI (2016) before my GSW and the MIBII puts the MIBI to shame. Faster, better resolution, less quirks. Only significant issue I’ve had with my MIBI has been failure on a couple of occasions to load Sirius radio. There is a delay of a couple of seconds every day at startup before it loads the last channel, but a couple of times where it took several seconds and one instance where it never loaded the entire drive. With the MIBII it’s always instant.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Well,
I picked up my second 2015 TDI last friday. First one was the first new car I ever bought brand new. 2015 Golf TDI SEL 6 speed MT. Loved the car, but two weeks after owning it VW announced it's whole emissions scandal :( Drove it for 44k miles then returned it.. got all my money back.

Anyways, waited about a year and was iffy about purchasing another 2015 TDI. Found a GSW SEL DSG with 10k miles on it at Offleaseonly.com for $19K with a clean car fax. Drove it, loved it, bought it. Car had no issues..
Day 3, got in it to drive home from work and the infotainment system

.... snip....

Any one else have the same issue? I have an appointment with VW dealer Wednesday morning. 10k miles on it and still have a little less than a year before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out. Hopeing VW dealer will fix it quickly. Absolutely love the car.

I bought mine in 2015 (July) -- still have it. Mine is the cheapo (S) 6,000 miles

... truthfully I really *wonder* about all this electronic stuff.

... and the possible conscientious of depending on it sooooo much.

.... my wife's car talks to her. I used her NAV once to take a trip to a new (and possibly very dangerous) place.

Scary if we would have had a brake down on the car.

... then again the info issues on VW are the same as with gassers.

... hope you get to the bottom of your issue(s) Good Luck. :)
l

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I wonder if you could convince the dealer to contribute the portion of the MIB I repair towards an MIB II upgrade.

Even if it knocks $500 off the price it's probably worth it.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
There is at least one software update for MIB1. Per Tech Bulletin 91-15-07, software version is updated from P3470 TO P4430. This may not address your issue, but if not, make sure the version is updated after repair/replacement.

I believe there are more tech bulletins available for the MIB1 that might be more relevant.

Rcbamm

TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW SOLD. 2015 Golf TDI VW boughtback. Own: 15 GSW TDI. 99.5 Jetta TDI
Appreciate all the replies. I will remember this and ask questions at the dealer for software versions. Currently waiting for diagnosis at the VW dealer now. They did come out and tell me my car is covered under the B2B so no worries on getting it fixed, just worried how long it’s gonna take! Been up for 18 hours straight working night shift. I’m exhausted. Gonna take a nap in the waiting room

Last edited:

Rcbamm

TDI
After about an hour and a half of waiting, the VW service rep came and told me “Come back tomorrow, we have to replace the radio module in the glove compartment and we’ll have a new one tomorrow, come by any time and we’ll get it changed for you quickly”

Super satisfied with the customer service I received today from Schumacher VW of Palm Beach. Let’s see how things go tomorrow!

Rcbamm

TDI
Went back to the dealer for radio replacement this morning. After about 2 hours VW service came out and said you’re good to go. Everything is back to normal and working again. No defects noted!

Super pleased with the warranty service from VW.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Went back to the dealer for radio replacement this morning. After about 2 hours VW service came out and said you’re good to go. Everything is back to normal and working again. No defects noted!

Super pleased with the warranty service from VW.
Good to hear!