Ran ok...stopped..no start

tdiguy228

TDI
1999 golf white
My TDI 99.5 ran fine with occasional power loss (felt like no turbo) which came and went away. I drove car home one day and following morning no start. What's been done: Relay's 109 & 53 (645) ...What I've observed and measured: About 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on, the voltage at the glow plugs drops from 12 volts to 0 and the voltage at the shut off solenoid goes from 12 volts to 9 (which is not enough to hold the solenoid plunger), and at the same time you can hear a humming noise coming from the injection pump turn into an internal switch noise (not the shut-off sol). This happens consistently. The fault codes set are 16764- Glow plug/ heater and 17946-Fuel shut off Solenoid. All the readings make sense, but why is it all shutting down?? HELP

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The power to the cutoff solenoid should go to zero after a few seconds. It will pick up again if you start cranking the engine.

The QA in the pump will go to a high setting when you turn the key then drop down making two distinct clicks. I never noticed it humming between these two but it may be normal.

The plug behavior seems normal.

Try cracking an injector line loose and see if you get fuel while cranking.

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
My TDI 99.5 ran fine with occasional power loss (felt like no turbo) which came and went away.
I drove car home one day and following morning no start.
What's been done: Relay's 109 & 53 (645) ...
What I've observed and measured: About 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on,
the voltage at the glow plugs drops from 12 volts to 0 and
the voltage at the shut off solenoid goes from 12 volts to 9
(which is not enough to hold the solenoid plunger), and
at the same time you can hear a humming noise coming from the injection pump turn into an internal switch noise (not the shut-off sol).
This happens consistently.
The fault codes set are 16764- Glow plug/heater and 17946-Fuel shut off Solenoid.
All the readings make sense, but why is it all shutting down?? HELP
The power to the cutoff solenoid should go to zero after a few seconds.
It will pick up again if you start cranking the engine.
The QA in the pump will go to a high setting when you turn the key then drop down making two distinct clicks.
I never noticed it humming between these two but it may be normal.
The plug behavior seems normal.
Try cracking an injector line loose and see if you get fuel while cranking.
Crack only one of the injector nuts... and do this while another person cranks the engine over...
for this will allow you to judge whether the IP's output pressure is HIGH PRESSURE...
not just fuel gravity draining out... or low pressure from the 1st stage rotary-vane suction pump inside the IP!
You want to verify that the IP is putting out enough pressure to do the job of ignition!
Lots of Luck,
Sam Ross