How Do I Remove 2000 Jetta Oil Pan ????

Huntingfor1

TDI
2000 Jetta
I'm still chasing the tapping noise in my car. Going to put new lifters in it this evening hoping it will solve my problem. If it doesn't looks like I'm headed to the bottom side to look around down there. I have been told to take the oil pan off I'm going to have to remove either the engine or the transmission from the car. It is a 2000 Jetta with the 5 speed manual transmission. Anyone ever done this?

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Would have to be a mighty awful tick for me to go through all that trouble.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
You do not need to remove the engine or the trans. You do need a mighty long ball end hex wrench/socket, however.

I am too lazy to do it for you, but start by doing some searches on "oil pan replacement" and you will find threads galore on the topic.

Huntingfor1 said:
I'm still chasing the tapping noise in my car. Going to put new lifters in it this evening hoping it will solve my problem. If it doesn't looks like I'm headed to the bottom side to look around down there. I have been told to take the oil pan off I'm going to have to remove either the engine or the transmission from the car. It is a 2000 Jetta with the 5 speed manual transmission. Anyone ever done this?

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Aside from the two center rear bolts, it is easy. Drain, unbolt and it pops off. There are the two bolts on the bell housing, don't forget. I used my trusty 5mm Bondhus Ball Driver, held in Vise Grips, to get the 2 center rears instead of the wobble bit.

Huntingfor1

TDI
2000 Jetta
You guys are something else. Thanks for helping a stranger out with all of the wonderful information. I ended up not having to drop the oilpan. I found a bad lifter. At least I know now what one of these engines sounds like when a lifter goes out. I knew it sounded like the noise was coming from the top but dang it was loud. Almost sounded like a rod knocking. Again, I appreciate all of your help and input that helped me get the car up and running again. Probably won't be the last time I have to ask for some help with this car.