Torque converter????

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i was running a diagnostic through the vag-com and its comming up with 1 fault code... the description sez something like " intermittent - torque converter malfunction" or something along those lines what exactly is a torque convertor and is this a sign of an upcomming and expensive repair bill?

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
yes my car is automatic, i wouldnt say its acting up, but after a spirited drive on the highway, well not even just general highway speeds, when merging back onto local traffic i get the occasional jerk from the 60km - 80km/hour when it changes gears, its like the car wants to hold the RPM at 3000 even after it shift so u get a slight surge of power kinda jerk

its kind of hard to understand but that would be my best guess at a potential problem.

i thought i saved the actual fault code on my computer but i cant seem to find the code, when i get home tonight i'll plug in the vag-com and write down the exact description

Last edited:

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
In addition, the scenario you describe is not too unusual, my '03 Golf did this from new and a few others have mentioned the same thing. One rough upshift after a period of sustained driving at higher speeds. For lack of understanding the reason, I just assumed it's 'normal'. I think the fuzzy-logic firmware must have been designed by the summer intern.

Last edited:

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
well considering its an automatic i could be way off but i have yet to find the dipstick to check my tranny fluid (my understanding is its a sealed system and thus no stick)

most peculiar thing tho, i'm not sure weather to be worried or relieved when i got home from work today checked for the fault code and nothing came up, everythings healthy. I know i didnt clear the fault code and i do remember it said it was intermittent. I guess its something i am gonna have to check up on every other week or so, see if it comes back.

yea paul i thought it was normal too but after seeing that fault code it kinda made me wonder. well its gone now so i'm hoping it stays away, at least for a while so i can budget for such a repair if need be.

thanks for ure help its much appreciated
OmegaRenegade

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no dipstick on that transmission. There is a level-checking plug on the side of the case somewhere - it's the same idea as most manual gearboxes or rear-ends, proper level is up to the bottom of that plug except that the tranny temperature has to be within a specified range. I also don't know if the level check is supposed to be done with the engine running or stopped - check the service manual for the correct procedure.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I thought that there was a way to check the fluid level through vag-com on the automatics. Maybe I was just smoking something one day and thought I heard that. Given that there is a 'peep hole' on the autos, I'd guess that this would be something to check with the engine off. As brian said, though, check the service manual.