37.5mpg ???

simbad

TDI
06 Jetta
Hi,
Newbie here.
I recently bought an 06 Jetta TDI for my daughter. The car has 107k on it and has just had timing belt done.

I have read the posts about how to increase mpg.
My question is over the First two fullbacks I have returned 37.5 MPG both times. It's disappointing as I thought I'd be in the low 40's, nearly all the driving is rural roads with minimal stop start and sitting around 45-55mph. These runs normally get me the best MPG a car will get, in my wifes GTI the same run return 31mpg as example.
So- is there something I should look at first, and in regard to MAF or timing should I just take to dealer and have them check it over?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Who's driving... My kids when teens and early 20's didn't drive in such a way to get the best fuel economy. I'm wording that very kindly for how they drove!!!!!!

Was the timing belt done before you bought the car? I think the timing on fuel injector pump has to be set after belt change, not just mark the spot on gear and put back. (commonly referred to as "mark and pray).

simbad

TDI
06 Jetta
DSG
Mix of kids and me but the DSG takes a lot of the guess work out, I know it's been driven in a way it should be getting good MPG

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I believe the DSG equipped cars are rated for that general area 36-42. The guys that are getting into the 50+ bracket have the 6 speed manual. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the timing is correct. Maybe check for dragging brakes also.

LBZ

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
One thing that helped my mileage was doing the zip-tie fix on the turbo actuator. I am not saying this your problem but it is worth looking at to possibly get better mileage.

simbad

TDI
06 Jetta
Ok thanks, i'll check the brakes and maybe have it taken in for a timing check. seems a shame the DSG gets so much less than the manual. Personally i am a manual guy and totally get why that's the case but thought the DSG was a much improved gearbox that helped with comparable MPG. Oh well, i guesd 37 is not bad, but would have like better.

Dragracerzzz

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L BRM 300K Mi. Malone Stage 1.5 tune and haulin the mail! (Courtesy of WIDiesel Service) Thanks Kevin
Probably many factors, my 06 Jetta 1.9 BRM with DSG gets 46-48 on hwy and I have zero performance mods done. I have almost 300,000 miles on the vehicle too. And I know the guy who owned it the first 200,000 miles took horrible care of it since I know he blew the engine once not using 505.01 oil and then did it again from STILL not using 505.01 oil so when I bought the car he was glad to see it go and I was glad to take good care of a car that need it and it gets me mucho good MPG's. Could be low quality fuel also if you're continiously getting diesel of poor quality at the same fueling station. Just some thoughts.....

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
One thing that helped my mileage was doing the zip-tie fix on the turbo actuator. I am not saying this your problem but it is worth looking at to possibly get better mileage.
Just out of curiosity, what is this mod? I don't think it applies to my MK6 Jetta, but it sounds interesting.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
For that type of driving, as long as you aren't doing jackrabbit starts, it should be better than that. Above poster already mentioned dragging brake, also check wheel bearings, and I had to recently replace my clogged Catalytic convert, my mileage whent from 36-37 back to around 42 even with aggressive driving.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Our Mk6 Jetta with DSG has gotten from around 37 up to the low 40's the past few tanks as it's gotten more miles on it. Strangely I get better mileage than my wife does. I'm also smart enough not to make any comments. Lawyers cost a whole lot more than diesel does. :D

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I believe the DSG equipped cars are rated for that general area 36-42. The guys that are getting into the 50+ bracket have the 6 speed manual. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the timing is correct. Maybe check for dragging brakes also.
There is NOT that much difference between the DSG and the manual. It's not 38MPG versus 50. The DSG probably nets around 2-3MPG less.

If you put me, in my DSG up against somebody in their 6MT, doing their same commute that is netting them ~50MPG, I bet I'm within 2MPG of them.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
There is NOT that much difference between the DSG and the manual. It's not 38MPG versus 50. The DSG probably nets around 2-3MPG less.

If you put me, in my DSG up against somebody in their 6MT, doing their same commute that is netting them ~50MPG, I bet I'm within 2MPG of them.

I truly think that those with the wide open, less traffic commutes are driving the manuals and thus showing great numbers. Those of us in the urban city areas, doing tons of stop and go are driving the DSG's. That accounts for far more of the MPG difference in my opinion than the transmission.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
I can offer a little here. I averaged 44 MPGs in my 13' Passat DSG on a 60 mile RT commute over 12 months. Over the same commute for two months (no winter yet) am getting 53 MPGs in my 15' golf. I expect some advantage for weight, some advantage for the new and improved engine and some improvement for the shift to stick. I was not expecting to be top of the Fuelly boards as I am just a couple miles above average in the Passat. (Commute is predominantly country roads 1/3 highway)

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I didn't see anybody mention distance... Depending on how far you're going, that may not be bad mileage. TDIs take a long time to warm up. Before starting my 40 mile commute (typically ~50mpg) I had an 11 mile commute and got ~40mpg. Usually I see my mileage creeping up the entire length of my commute--it just gets better the further I go. How far are you driving on these trips?

Green Diesel Engineering

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi DSG
A partially clogged EGR will lead to a drop in fuel economy. We have ECO tunes for your model that will certainly increase the fuel economy and make it perform much better.