Need help setting injector timing - Seattle

Jimwsea

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL
I just had my IM cleaned, but I think my Golf may be running rich. I now have better power and better mileage, but the exhast smeel is seems stong. I live in Seattle and am willing to pay resonable rate for assistance/learning. I'll travel to Everett or Tacoma. I don't have a vag-com, but I'm interested in seeing/learning how to use one. Right now, I'd rather help someone else recoup on theirs than go out and buy a laptop/program/cable for occasional use.

(I originally placed this in the regional forum, but I got zero responses.)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Diesels run VERY lean to start with. More pungent exhaust smell doesn't necessarily mean you're running rich. Excessive smoke would be a clear sign of over-fueling. Have you changed brands of fuel lately? That can have a significant effect on the smell. Could it be you are now smelling how it was supposed to smell all along? Now that your intake tract is clean, it could be a case of what you were missing, not what you've gained. Blocking or disabling the EGR will have a noticeable effect on exhaust smell also. Did everything get hooked up again correctly? Did you have your EGR adapted in VAG-Com? Just a few things to think about. If you were running rich, you'd be seeing smoke.