SDI Intake on ALH with Dyno Data

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
We have used PD130/PD150 intakes for all of our +350bhp builds. That intake leave good space for turbo between intake and firewall.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I ran the SDI last year on the Beetle Roadracer we made good power.
For this year I have a 2260 turbo upgrade and will dyno test a PD 130 and a D24 .
I am placing the 2260 in the stock location with a stock ALH manifold welding on a flange so we still can just swap out turbos as the year gos on for testing.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Ttt. I couldn't figure out why the scroll-type SDI manifold would perform even worse than the stick ALH one. There's no good reason for the result obtained.

I didn't see anyone mention it here, but I am wondering out loud whether switching the inlet flange from the driver's side to the other might have messed up the gas flow dynamics in the plenum somehow. The #1 cylinder runner is already directed in a slighty awkward backward flow.

@F_U_B, do you think there would be a not-too-difficult way to test this hypothesis?
What we need are more data points of dyno results between the SDI and stock manifolds from more people with the same attention to data collecting as F_U_B has done. Not a slight on F_U_B, but he will also appreciate that a single data point does not a trend make. The conclusion *could* be that the scroll manifold is inferior -- I can't see how, but we cannot be in denial if multiple data points turn out to show the same thing. The plastic 2-piece SDI manifold remains my favourite.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Wow - That brings back some memories :)...

There is a flow bench at work, but would have to see if they'll let me use it. Probably flow in from each side and measure the flow of each individual runner to prove/disprove this theory. I think RyanP mentioned this idea at some point.

My opinion (still) is that the two dyno runs were scaled differently somehow - maybe an RPM difference, one was strapped down tighter than the other so more tire rolling resistance, etc. The more/less vertical offset of the two curves seems to support this theory (but I may be just drawing circles around the dart on the wall too :)). General theory says that a component like this won't have an overall effect across such a wide powerband. It might help the bottom end, but hurt top end, etc.

In the end it's a singular pair of data points with insufficient data and uncontrolled variables to draw any meaningful conclusions.