TDi 110 (AFN)

Stuart_B5_TDi110

TDI
1997 Passat 110, Ice blue
<font color="blue"> Hello everyone! Just a quick one. I normally frequent the B5 platform forum, but there isn't many people with the AFN engine (don't think the passat B5 had it in America)

Where might I find people with one, or rather which forum is most likely to have AFN engine owners in it?

Cheers in advance! </font>

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
AFN seems to be the same engine as the 110HP Golf/Bora (Jetta) IV. You might try posting in the A4 section. You may not quite get a lot of help, as those engines were not available here in North America...but they are very similar to our 90 HP version, with different injectors and different ECM coding, so the generals should be the same.

Superlite

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 GT-TDI 110, 1996, Mystic Blue
Me, me, me, but will I be of any help that is the question...
Do you have a particular problem?

Stuart_B5_TDi110

TDI
<font color="blue"> Well basically I wish to know if there are any easy mods for this well established engine?

Also, It seems a very noisy engine, and the turbo seems to really hiss loud. Don't sound right to me.

Or is it just a dated engine? </font>

blakey77

TDI
2003 Audi A6 Avant 130PD
You can do all of the same upgrades to 110 that you can do to a 90bhp (tuning box, injector upgrade, remap etc), sometimes with better results for some reason.
What do you compare you engine to to make you think that it is noisy?
I have two AFN 110's:
1999 Passat TDI Sport, 113k
1997 Passat TDI SE, 152k
They both sound different, the 97 has a lower toned diesel sound, but feels slightly smoother but I can hear the turbo inside the car. The 99 has a higher toned diesel sound but is slightly quieter inside the car and I can hardly hear the turbo.

Stuart_B5_TDi110

TDI
<font color="blue"> It's hard to say really, It just doesn't sound right. The turbo (or something) definately hisses too much. However, power wise the car seems to drive fine.

The problem is, there aren't many people on B5 forums with the AFN engine, because i don't believe they were fitted to american B5 passats. It started in 1997 here. It seems like the AFN was then quickly replaced in the B5 model. So i've not really had anything to compare it to.

Was also thinking along the line of any good mods with VAG-COM? I've reduced the EGR and that's about it.

Cheers again in advance! </font>