Anyone know how to fight bogus previous owner claim on 3.0L?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I have a car that I purchased from original owner after 1/31/17. I know for a fact he is original owner.

However, he put in a claim so I am getting half restitution as of right now.

IF I don't get "top off" money later, has anyone spoke to anyone or seen any information on how to challenge this claim? I have signed bill of sale and title with dates after 1/31/17. May be he forged a new bill of sale and submitted it to VW, I don't know and of course don't want to call him to ask.

What are your thoughts?

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Forgery is a crime.

When the current owner gets only half of the restitution, VW should show the current owner there is a legitimate claim from the former owner, IMO.

Is there a mechanism for this?

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Uhm... why is this a bogus claim? He's the orginal owner, he is the one that suffered the decrease in value.. YOU knew what you were buying... Why should you get anything?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I think your documents, along with something from the DOT/DMV showing the date of registration, date of finance or cashed check should help you fight this.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Because the original owner sold it after 1/31/17, which means he isn't entitled to anything under the settlement.
Does that matter? If he registered before the cutoff date (5/1 or something?) as a previous owner then isn't he entitled to half the restitution?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Uhm... why is this a bogus claim? He's the orginal owner, he is the one that suffered the decrease in value.. YOU knew what you were buying... Why should you get anything?
LOL you joking right? By rules of settlement, anyone who sold after 1/31/17 is not entitled to a penny.

I think your documents, along with something from the DOT/DMV showing the date of registration, date of finance or cashed check should help you fight this.
Yeah, but thats in case I will have an opportunity to present my case. Which is what I am asking in this thread. If anyone seen or heard about presenting my case.

Does that matter? If he registered before the cutoff date (5/1 or something?) as a previous owner then isn't he entitled to half the restitution?
Yes it absolutely matters. Only sellers who sold before 1/31/17 are eligible and they had to register before 5/1/17 to get anything.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You will need to call the legal team and provide them with documentation. They will be the only ones to handle things like this. Get ready to wait.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
No, he isn't. As I said in the post you quoted, if he sold the car after 1/31, he isn't entitled to anything. It doesn't matter if (or when) he registered.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You will need to call the legal team and provide them with documentation.
No, he probably won't need to do anything. If he gets an offer that reflects only half of the restitution, then he should call the legal team.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
No, he probably won't need to do anything. If he gets an offer that reflects only half of the restitution, then he should call the legal team.
Good idea. The one car with 50% is still in pending. All other with full restitution I got offers for. I will be submitting paperwork for another one with 50% tomorrow, will see what happens

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
As a data point for you, I'm still dealing with a bogus eligible seller claim on a 2.0L car that I uploaded the documents for back in February.

The original owner filed for settlement benefits and had the fix as her preliminary selection. She traded the car in to a dealership in January 2017. So, she has absolutely no claim to any money at all (sold 6 months after the June 28, 2016 cut off date), yet I still haven't received an offer letter and it's been 4 months.

I've been in frequent (daily) contact with the legal team and they have done absolutely nothing for me. For some reason, the VW claims team and the legal team insist upon trying to get in touch with the original owner to cancel out her claim, even though I have the title, registration, etc. for the vehicle.

So, I would recommend that you try to address this issue now rather than wait, because the VW claims team + legal team are completely worthless and have no idea what they are doing.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
How about this one, I purchased a 2012 Touareg Jan 20th 2017, vehicle wasn't delivered to me for about a week, out of state title didnt come to me til Feb and vehicle wasnt registered in my name til Feb. Original owner made a claim so 50% restitution, I claimed Feb 1st as the purchase date. Wonder what is going to happen.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
How about this one, I purchased a 2012 Touareg Jan 20th 2017, vehicle wasn't delivered to me for about a week, out of state title didnt come to me til Feb and vehicle wasnt registered in my name til Feb. Original owner made a claim so 50% restitution, I claimed Feb 1st as the purchase date. Wonder what is going to happen.
I think the purchase date is the cutoff date. Original owner will get his own half

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Bill of Sale = selling date.
Title date doesn't matter.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
I think the purchase date is the cutoff date. Original owner will get his own half
I wouldn't be heartbroken, but I am questioning what will happen because I listed the purchase date as 2/1/2017. My registration and title all list Feb dates.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I got another car that was traded in on 1/31 and he filed a claim. oh well

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wouldn't be heartbroken, but I am questioning what will happen because I listed the purchase date as 2/1/2017. My registration and title all list Feb dates.
I filed for eligible seller on my 2013 Passat. The bill of sale was for 1 day before the cutoff date. Title was still in my name for another week. They went by the bill of sale date not the title transfer date. Same principal and I doubt you will win.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I am in a similar position, one-owner car, purchased in March 2017, someone filed as a previous owner. I am going to upload the original owner's title, which shows the sale date on the rear, as additional pages in the 'rear page of title' upload portion, with a text page above it explaining the situation with the previous owner. I am not sure if they will deny my documents because the 'rear of title' will have both the rear of my title and the other previous title (and explanation), but, like you, I am worried that I may not have much of an opportunity to explain and present my proof. We'll see how that goes.