99 beetle replaced window regular. Now no remote lock or window function.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Same age of regulator? I'm not a 100% on the beetles but for the golf/jetta there's two types, 1C or 1J, it's the first digits of the part number. 1999 would be the older system 1J, the newer 1C parts aren't compatible so if you've fitted a newer type it wont work.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Regulator is the mechanical system. Using the original motor that was fine (had cable failure). Motor doesnt even try when not bolted into the regulator.

Took all apart and now the power locks are working again. Appears to be something inside the connector of the door lock mech. But even with it unplugged im getting nothing with the window motor. Any ideas on that? Or can the lock mech cause the window motor to not work? It did get unplugged prior to it not working. Afterwards i was getting my ding ding from door open. Guessing maybe the power passes thru it?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Was reading about it having window microswitches and all kinds of stuff. I know it's been moody and having issues so I guess it's time to replace it. Hoping this is the end of fixing the car for a bit.

Does anyone know exactly how the microswitches in the latch work for the window? Guessing it knows when it's up and when it's down somehow?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The switches in the door latch would have nothing to do with the window, mostly. The one thing that might is when you turn the key in the door to move the window up or down. Yours has that functionality, right?

Have you checked the condition of the wire loom running into the door at the hinge? Your car is in that age range where the insulation on wires is getting brittle and prone to crack at bending points. When this happens, it will place a much larger amount of stress on the wire at the point where the break happens, until the conductor breaks as well. Either that or shorts will start to happen in between exposed conductors, and only your imagination will limit what can happen then.

Otherwise you need to re-check the door switches that run the window as well as the plug into the window motor.

Yeah, PIA to be sure, but if you want it to work reliably, there aren't a lot of other things you can do.

Good luck,

PH

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I keep reading that there is microswitches in the door latch for the window. It's what tells the car the window is up or down. I glanced at what I could on the wires and they appeared to look fine. No frayed insulation. There is parts of those wires you can't see tho. Does anyone know the pin information for the window switch plugs? Test for incoming power and all atleast. Since the passenger window one works I can compare the 2. The door latch preventing me from being able to lock the doors with my remote when I do unlock than lock just makes me keep thinking something has to be off with it.

Anyone who knows about the window microswitches in the lock mech please let me know.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Well. First off. I'm a *******. All this mess and somehow I had the window connector plugged in wrong for the drivers window. The window does struggle and drop slightly when going down and going up it harder on the motor. Any ideas for me with this?