Lumpy idle

sio

TDI
130 PD passat
Just wondering if anybody can help me, have a 03 1.9 tdi passat, which has a lumpy idle when cold, warm, and hot. Lumpy idle is even there wether the clutch is depressed or not, seems to be there constabtly. There is no lose of power or reduction in fuel economy and lumpiness is not there when reved over 1000 rpm. No fault codes when put on vcds.
Any help would be very much appreciated, it has 242,000 and is only used for commuting so I don't want to spend much money on it hoping for a cheap explanation

sio

TDI
130 PD passat
thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that this only began in the last 1500 to 2000 miles would a cam shaft show wear this rapidly. Two people have said cam timing the alternator clutch pulley and the injector loom cause this to happen is this true, my alternator clutch pulley is very loud

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
sio, are you using the Air Conditioner? If so, try turning it off (and everything else too) at idle and see if it returns to normal non-lumpy operation.

sio

TDI
130 PD passat
Never used the air conditioning I live in wet Ireland ha ha, it's lumpy at idle with no power usage, saying that if I have the lights on at night and if I'm idling at the lights for example they flicker, think the alternator could be the cause

sphoppie

TDI
2005 Passat
sio, are you using the Air Conditioner? If so, try turning it off (and everything else too) at idle and see if it returns to normal non-lumpy operation.
Mine does the same thing, but only when the a/c is on. What does that mean?

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Mine does the same thing, but only when the a/c is on. What does that mean?
Ha! I wish I knew, I just assumed the AC is loading the engine (unevenly). I'm not too concerned about it...but maybe I should be :eek: