Active Regen Cycles

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I am not sure if this is normal but I have interrupted three regen cycles in the last two days. I drive about 20-25 miles and when I turn the car off the fans are blowing full speed so I know it was in the middle of a cycle. Is this normal for this to occur so often? I drive a 2012 Passat TDI if that helps.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you interupt them the car will try again when conditions are right. Let one finish and you should be good to go for a while. I short trip currently and take mine up on the Interstate every 2 weeks and let it complete one. Maybe every 250 to 600 miles or so IIRC, depending on driving. There are several gauges available and discussed on several threads here as well as some signs to look for if you don't have gauges.

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So does anyone know if it takes longer than 20 miles to complete a regen cycle when the air temp is about 50

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
So does anyone know if it takes longer than 20 miles to complete a regen cycle when the air temp is about 50
20 miles seems a little long but I'm not usually paying that close of attention when it starts or finishes..I just notice it in a regen and then I look down later and it's done.

it might be compensating for having been interupted a few times....just let it complete the regen you can do it idling in the parking lot too (once it's started)

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Once it starts it takes 10 minutes to complete - mine have all been at highway speeds.

I've read it won't start until you are over 45 mph. So if you factor in getting to speed, etc. It could easily take a drive over 20 miles.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If it doesn't start untill 15 miles into the drive then 20 won't do. If you know you interupt one I would do some highway driving to let it complete. At speed though it is very difficult to tell it is happening without gauges.