This may be a dumb question..

Patrick15630

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta SEL TDI
How long can you keep the car in accessory mode before you need to start it up? I ask because there is times where I have to sit in my car for long periods of time without moving but I'm always afraid how long I keep it running.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
How long can you keep the car in accessory mode before you need to start it up? I ask because there is times where I have to sit in my car for long periods of time without moving but I'm always afraid how long I keep it running.

This depends a lot on the condition of your battery. A good battery should be able to last for hours. However, why would you want to do this? In VWs you can turn on the radio without turning on the key to the accessory position. Why else might you want to turn on the car without starting the engine?

Have Fun !

Don

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Assuming a good battery, at least an hour.

Why?

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just did it haha, wow I can't believe I didn't know that.
If you switch on your radio while the ignition is in the off position, it will time-out after 15-20 minutes to protect the battery, in case you leave without switching off.

Not all this stuff is in your manual, but another reason to read it from front to back.

I keep finding lots of stuff, like my sun visor will extend along its support shaft to allow you to better position it, or how my wipers automatically slow to intermittent at a stop.

I am sure there is more yet to discover.....

Gary
:) :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw don't expect your GP to be nice and toasty after sitting for a while in acc mode.

After playing around with the nav and Bluetooth in the passat, the GP cooled down and resulted in a non start issue after a 10-15 min, all it took was a simple cycle of gp and it fired right back up.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It sort of depends. If you have a 250W music system, it may not be long. If it is a basic radio it may be a long time.

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
btw don't expect your GP to be nice and toasty after sitting for a while in acc mode.

After playing around with the nav and Bluetooth in the passat, the GP cooled down and resulted in a non start issue after a 10-15 min, all it took was a simple cycle of gp and it fired right back up.
What's a 'GP'?

Gary
:) :)