G12 Vs. Prestone® All Makes All Models Antifreeze

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Does anyone know if the "New Prestone® All Makes All Models Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant" is fully compatible with the VW G12?

Obviously VW will indicate that nothing else is compatible with their G12 but I am wondering if that is the actual truth?

This New Prestone® All Makes All Models Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is claiming full compatibility"
This patented, technologically-advanced formula and traditional color is compatible with ANY make or model of car or light duty truck and mixes with ANY color of antifreeze.
I have found the same claim coming from "PEAK" antifreeze also. (probably the same guys)

Your informative input would be greatly appreciated.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Why not just ask Prestone if their coolants comply with the VAG specs? Isn't that the simplest thing to do?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
VW G-12 engines spec: TL-774-D

AUDI G-12 engines spec: TL-774-D

SEAT G-12 engines spec: TL-774-D

SKODA G-12 engines spec: TL-774-D

MB MB 325.3

MAN MAN 324

MTU MTL 5048

PORSCHE TL-774-D

FORD WSS-M79B44-D

I doubt they tested it against these engine specs.

If the prestone is not silicate free DO NOT MIX IT!!!

If it is silicate free you need to verify the testing that was done on the coolant.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant

British Leyland - LTS 22AF 10
Caterpillar (*) - EC-1
Chrysler - MS 9176
Deutz/MWM - 0199-2091 (2. Auflage)
Ford - WSS-M97B44-C
General Motors/US - GM 6277M
Mack (*) - 014GS17004
MAN Nutzfahrzeuge - MAN 248 & 324
MAN B&W - D36 5600
Navistar (*) - B-1, typ III
Renault (*) - 41-01-001
Ulstein Bergen - 2.13.01
VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda - TL 774 D
MB - 325.3 Sheet

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
BASF Glysantin G30

Audi TL 774-D/F
DaimlerChrysler DBL 7700.30 Seite 325.3
Ford WSS-M 97B44-D
MAN MAN 324 SNF
MTU MTL 5048
Porsche Techn. Info
Seat TL 774-D/F
Skoda TL 774-D/F
VW TL 774-D/F

Glysantin Alu Protect Premium/ G 30

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
They claim to be Phosphate and Silicate free.

Peak claims..
Recommended For Automobiles With The Following Antifreeze Specifications:
ANFOR 15-601
BS 6580 (British Standard)
Chrysler MS7170
Chrysler MS9769
Ford ESE-M97B44-A
Ford WSS-M97B44-D
Ford WSS-M97B51-A1
FVV HEFT R443 (Germany)
GM 1825M
GM 6277M (DEX-COOL® Spec)
JASO M325 (Japan)
JIS K 2234 (Japan)
SAE J1034
Mercedes Benz DBL 7700
Prestone claims..
Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of the following specifications:

ASTM D3306
SAE J1034
GM 1825M
Ford ESE M97B44-A
Chrysler MS7170
General Services Administration CID A-A-52624
Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the following industry standards and specifications:

GM 6277M
Ford WSS-M97B44-D

When tested in ASTM D 1384, D 4340, D 2570, and D 2809, Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant will meet the chemical, physical property characteristics and performance requirements of the following standards and specifications:

GM 1825M
GM 1899
Ford WSE-M97B44-A
Ford ESE-M97B44-B
DaimlerChrysler MS 7170 and MS 9769
General Services Administration A-A-52624
ASTM D 3306
SAE J 1034
ASTM D 4985

Prestone LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of:
ASTM D5216
It also meets the corrosion protection requirements of:
ASTM D3306
ASTM D4985
GM 1899
GM 1825
ASTM D1384
ASTM D4340
ASTM D2570
ASTM D2809
I am waiting for a response from Prestone and Peak!

I will post what is replied.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant

British Leyland - LTS 22AF 10
Caterpillar (*) - EC-1
Chrysler - MS 9176
Deutz/MWM - 0199-2091 (2. Auflage)
Ford - WSS-M97B44-C
General Motors/US - GM 6277M
Mack (*) - 014GS17004
MAN Nutzfahrzeuge - MAN 248 & 324
MAN B&W - D36 5600
Navistar (*) - B-1, typ III
Renault (*) - 41-01-001
Ulstein Bergen - 2.13.01
VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda - TL 774 D
MB - 325.3 Sheet
Pete,

If I read your above quote correctly, are you in fact saying the Havoline Extended Life coolant, and or Prestone all models extended life coolant meets the VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda TL 774 D testing?, i.e., compatible with G12??

AKA "DEX-COOL? Prestone extended life, Havoline Extended life dexcool.

decan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls dk.blue
Why not just ask Prestone if their coolants comply with the VAG specs? Isn't that the simplest thing to do?
Would like to find out whether the" New Prestone All Makes All Models Ext. Life Antifreeze/Coolant"
is compatible with the VW G12 coolant as apparently VW, Audi etc. cars are supposed to use only
their own G12 product. Has your product been also tested on VW cars ?
An answer is appreciated.

Thanks very much for your inquiry. The new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant For All Makes All Models is
compatible with your vehicles coolant. The product can be safely added to your existing coolant or used in place of it
if desired.

Thank you.

Prestone

WHAT NOW ?

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Re: G12 Vs. Prestone® All Makes All Models Antifre

Thanks very much for your inquiry. The new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant For All Makes All Models is compatible with your vehicles coolant. The product can be safely added to your existing coolant or used in place of it if desired.

Thank you.

Prestone
Looks like they are claiming it won't cause coolant sludge or similar problems when mixed with VW G12, but are not claiming that it meets VW's specifications for G12.

An analogy: nearly all motor oils that you find on the shelf of the auto store are compatible with each other. But only some (if any) of them meet the specifications for your car's engine.

Rudolf Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I replaced my coolant with prestone dexcool AFTER A COMPLETE FLUSH AND WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT. Most members miss this minor detail and have a baby cow over the fact that i am not using G12 or 11 or something. No problems yet.

Rudolf Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
"Volkswagen/Audi Extended Life Pink: The type installed in US- bound cars contains sebacate and a trace amount of another organic acid called adipate, plus other inhibitors. However, VW reportedly is using organic acid formulas with both sebacate and 2-EHA in European models, so DexCool apparently should be considered an acceptable alternative as would prestone extended life gold."

A lot of supposition in that quote but read the article FWIW:

http://www.macsw.org/pdf/200410MS.pdf

decan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls dk.blue

Their response:

Hello Clem:
If you would like to install OEM antifreeze in your vehicle your will have to purchase the antifreeze from your
dealer. However, Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze is safe to use in your VW and will offer excellent cooling system
protection. Prestone Extended Life has been proven in the laboratory to be compatible with all new extended life
formulas at concentrations typically used in all newer vehicles coming off the production line today. These automobile
manufacturers include Audi, BMW, Daewoo, Daimler Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Suzuki,
Toyota, Volvo, and VW.

We hope this has been helpful. If you need additional information please let us know.

Prestone

Although specificlly asked they would not respond, whether
it was tested on VW engines.

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black

Sounds sufficient to me. I had to have some about two weeks ago and had to go to the dealer for it. $30 for a Gal.! I won't be letting them rip me off any more on this crap about you have to use G12! Your coolant will gel up and clog your cooling system! Nothing else is compatible!

Thanks to all who have researched this.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

I agree that $30/gal is a rip off. I got my G12 from impex when I ordered my TB kit. I think they wanted $15. For that price, I won't take a chance with other stuff. I've seen the hoses of a 98 VW that has only had G12 through them and they looked brand new inside. I like the stuff. Of course if my car had a leak and I had to add fluid every couple of weeks, I'ld probably think twice about G12.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI

Sounds sufficient to me. I had to have some about two weeks ago and had to go to the dealer for it. $30 for a Gal.! I won't be letting them rip me off any more on this crap about you have to use G12!
I think your dealer has turned into a stealer!

I just purchased a 4 liter (gal) jug of G12 for $23.65 CDN from our local dealer.

Shop around!

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black

I can get it cheaper from dieselgeek, Impex, plenty other places, but just didn't have any on-hand, or time to wait. I just don't like not having options in a pinch like that. Sounds like the Prestone Extended Life or Gold will work fine.

Thanks.

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue

I think I paid $12CAD for a jug of G12 from a VW dealer near Toronto.

No reason to search for an alternative.

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black

I can get the Prestone for about $8 gal. USD at Wal-Mart 14 miles from my house, and the nearest place for me to get G12 is over an hour drive, one way. Other than that it is mail order.

If I blow a hose or something, Prestone is a good alternative.

Deezleer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Green sold it in 2018 with 260,000 miles on it!

I just read that PDF on anti freeze.

It appears that DexCool is an acceptable alternative to Magic VW juice. Isn't it just like VW? They do the same thing with their "Special Sauce" oil requirments for the newer PD diesels!

They do this to get you buy from the dealer. Just like the $60 glow plugs!(Glow plugs for my 6.5L GMC are $8).

VW will change when we stop buying "stuff" from them. The problem is that there's a lot of people who, for one reason or another, do not inform themselves. VW and companys like them will always prey on them.

Regards,

Rick

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black

I have to agree with you Deezleer. VW tries to perpetuate their parts and accessory sales by telling folks you have to use their spec'd products and nothing else will work. I think G12 is an excellent product and they were probably ahead of the pack when they developed it, but others have caught them now and we need to quit supporting their high priced products.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
It's been posted that mixing G12 and Prestone will result in a brown muck in you radiator. Keep up posted if it happens.

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black
It's been posted that mixing G12 and Prestone will result in a brown muck in you radiator. Keep up posted if it happens.
I haven't seen anyone that has experienced this with the Prestone Extended Life. Last winter my son slid off the road and cracked one of the plastic ends on his radiator. I put Dex-Cool in when I changed the radiator and did not experience any brown muck. According to this reply from Prestone, the extended life Dex-Cool equivalent is fully compatible. You are referring to the original green stuff I assume. I concur, if anyone observes this, keep us posted.

Their response:

Hello Clem:
If you would like to install OEM antifreeze in your vehicle your will have to purchase the antifreeze from your
dealer. However, Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze is safe to use in your VW and will offer excellent cooling system
protection. Prestone Extended Life has been proven in the laboratory to be compatible with all new extended life
formulas at concentrations typically used in all newer vehicles coming off the production line today. These automobile
manufacturers include Audi, BMW, Daewoo, Daimler Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Suzuki,
Toyota, Volvo, and VW.

We hope this has been helpful. If you need additional information please let us know.

Prestone

Deezleer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Green sold it in 2018 with 260,000 miles on it!

I put DEXCOOL in everything I own from the GMC 6.5L to the John Deere F935 Diesel Front mower. The only thing not using it now is my old JD318. (air cooled!)

Rudolf Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta

Anyone read about the class action suit against GM for their DexCool antifreeze? I found it when I was researching the compatibility issue. It said that DexCool was ruining head gaskets, water pumps and just about everything else it came into contact with. I'll see if I can dig up the web site.

Here it is: http://www.cwcd.com/CM/MassTorts/MassTorts5.asp

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather

Is "Extended Life" the same as DexCool?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

It said that DexCool was ruining head gaskets, water pumps and just about everything else it came into contact with
Our Grand Prix now drinks coolant because of this
Every other fill up, we have to add some... Looking in the radiator cap, everything is nice and crusty. I looked in a friend's GP's radiator a while back, and there's was even worse!! Brown chunks fell off the cap when I took it off.

The company dad works for makes the plastic intake manifold for the 3800. A while back they got some nasty letters from GM asking why they were dissloving! They did some testing and found that Decool was not the same as the specs for the coolant they were given. oops!

-Jason