Runaway; turbo looks fine, question about IP

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS (x2)2002 Jetta Wagon 2005 Passat Wagon
So i bought a 02 Jetta wagon from another forum member that had a runaway that Im swapping a good modded alh with a 5speed.
Here's what I know:
It happened right after an oil change
the number four rod punctured the front and back of the block.
When i drained the oil pan it was half coolant and half oil (about a gallon)
Not more than normal oil in lower intercooler
Pulled the turbo and it looks fine; only shaft play is a little in and out (spins free)

So my questions are:

Could there be another culprit for the runaway, dare I say the Injection Pump? (I think the original owner had a Van Aaken tuning box and hammer mod; but dont know at the time of runaway)?

Is this turbo still good, could i put new seals in (if they're actual bad)?

Could the injection pump be damagage, how/who can test it?

I'd really like to use the 11mm injection, but not if I run into the situation that happened to Oilhammer where he had back to back runaways caused by the injection pump. I can always put the 11mm on later if I can find out if it's still good or rebuild it, but I dont think I want to punch a hole in my block or melt my pistons.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There are a couple of current threads discussing runaway caused by the fuel pump. Yes, it does happen... According to the photos the turbo looks good but not not perfect. The compressor side looks fine, but the turbine looks like it has seen a better day. If you have the time, I would send the turbo out to a trusted builder and have a hybrid made out of it. A 6+6 billet compressor wheel really brightens up the way the turbo responds and with the right tune you can have 24 PSI by 2000 RPM.

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
didn't even think about getting it built into a hybrid...
My plan was to just buy an xman or darkside turbo.

who stateside are building hybrids out of the VNT15?
what hybrids are using those cores, just 1722s?

still wondering about the health of IP, would really like to use it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've had a theory from day one when I heard about "runaways" that the culprit might be the IP. Of course, my hide has been tanned numerous times about my theory.:D :p

In my theory, if the IP goes bonkers, the over-rev blows all the oil out of the Intercooler into the engine (I've yet to find an ALH with a dry Intercooler), and, in most cases destroys the Turbo during the over-rev.... Then, the Turbo gets the blame... :eek:

The ALH in my Vanagon has revved up to about 3000 RPMs several times , only at start-up. I have never found what causes it to do that. Each time, I have turned off the ignition immediately. The Inter Cooler lays on it's side, thus, no place for a substantial amount of oil to accumulate. And, I'm still using the same Turbo (with 200k miles on it, and with a mild Stage 1 Malone Tune to the ECU.)

In your case, I would not recommend using that Turbo as is!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Whatever else is happening, one of the determining factors to qualify a turbo is lateral and axial play. Any movement of the shaft going in and out is bad.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
AndyBees,

I have seen a sticking I.Q. cause that issue.
Well, I have thought there could possibly be something going on with the I.Q. Keep in mind, my engine come from MrGutWrench's wreck via Jimbote which involved at least a year or so. Then, it sit in my garage for a little over 5 years before I installed it.

So, yeah, fast forward 4 or 5 years and over 70k miles, the I.Q. could be beginning to suffer the consequences of sitting so long.:eek:

In a few weeks, I hope to commence some major maintenance. I have another known good IP that I may install... just to see what happens.

I agree, any "in and out" play with the Turbo shaft is not good... there should be almost zero, in and out!

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
I figured the turbo was shot, anybody state-side still making hybrids out of these, or point me to a DIY (minus the balancing of course)?

So should I roll the dice and use the 11mm IP with the good engine I'm swapping in?

edit: I have access to a really good machine/fabrication shop, any work to the housing won't be a problem.

Last edited: