Michelin Defender - the real deal???

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
So they just came out with it. Always been a big Michelin fan. The price is high but not outragous. Looking for a high mileage tire, not really a performance tire. [Plus I have seperate winter tires, so that is a non-issue.]

They make a 195/65-15 and a 205/65-15, I wouldn't mind going size up to get my car a bit off the ground. Do others run 205/65's on their MKIV Jettas?

Anyone have expereince yet with this tire? I know they are new.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After futher review... it appears the 205/65 is not yet available. Looks like early April. I'm going to try and push my current tires that far. I'm also hoping Michelin will come up with another $70 off if you buy four tires by then. Since the current one expires 3/24.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I started using Michelin when I bought a car that had a set of X-Ones on it. Those tires lasted FOREVER. After they quit making X-Ones, I started buying X-radials from the 'club stores' and they were decent but it seemed I'd break a belt before I lost the tread.

I need a new set of tires bad, not sure I can wait out the Defenders, but I'm gonna try.

msgross

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I put a set of Michelin's on my Tahoe, amazing how nice they ride and the wet weather traction. PA has very slick roads, more so when it rains just a little, and we use to always slide. Well worth the money

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I wonder if Michelin has paid special attention to tread noise with the Defender because of the (worn) tread noise issue that the HydroEdges were known for.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
if Costco carries the Defender, they always seem to have a $70 coupon. Could be a good way to go.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I run 205/70-15 on my beetle, though it is lifted 2". Was nice for the extra cush when I lived in Michigan pothole state! The odometer was off because of that but it did make the speedo pretty close to accurate!!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They are 70 off everywhere right now... But that ends soon.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 3.5G on AT&T using Tapatalk

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Sure is a boring looking tread design. I'll continue my Michelin boycott & buy another set of Continental DWS tires when the time comes.

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Sure is a boring looking tread design. I'll continue my Michelin boycott & buy another set of Continental DWS tires when the time comes.
The Defender and DWS are two completely different markets. The defender is not built for performance. Main focus is all season traction, nvh, and long mileage, and surpassing performance of the 3 tires it is replacing.
A interesting tread design dosent always equate to a good tire. (See: BFG KDW NT, Nitto Invo, Yokohama Parada, etc) The DWS competitor from Michelin is the Pilot Sport A/S+. Which is a better tire btw.

If you dont mind me asking why are you boycotting Michelin? Have you actually had an issue with them or their product?

BTW I don't work for Michelin. I do run a tire store though.

I wonder if Michelin has paid special attention to tread noise with the Defender because of the (worn) tread noise issue that the HydroEdges were known for.

I have yet to drive on these tires but that was one of the points on the training I just took on these. They put a lot of work into making the tire quieter and smoother riding than the Destiny, Harmony, and Hydroedge.

Most sizes are not rolling out until summer of this year. Certain tire companies will have availability months before others. I've been told michelin is running 4 factories at max capacity to get these to the market.

Last edited:

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
give nokian a go. i've had a set of contipros and replaced them with nokian entyres and they are quiet @ 35psi and smooth. i've just got them up to 40psi and they are slightly noisier, roll well and not noticing a harder ride?!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
give nokian a go. i've had a set of contipros and replaced them with nokian entyres and they are quiet @ 35psi and smooth. i've just got them up to 40psi and they are slightly noisier, roll well and not noticing a harder ride?!
Any recommendations for an online Nokian supplier (for the U.S.)?

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
Any recommendations for an online Nokian supplier (for the U.S.)?
:confused: and that's where it ends for me. kaltire is the exclusive distributor in canada. sorry chris. for what it is worth though, i'm not a michi hater but i've gone with nokian because of their eco-commitment, if you will, which means earth friendly compounds both in new production and @ discard, low rolling resistance tread patterns, and before i hug a spruce;) i kinda like giving the little guy a chance. their hakka r's i run in the winter are amazing and these entyres are a pleasant surprise too.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
If you dont mind me asking why are you boycotting Michelin? Have you actually had an issue with them or their product?
The set of Energies that were on my car were downright dangerous when there was even just a little water on the road. Hydroplaning scares the #$%^& out of me & it's an issue when you live on the Oregon Coast. I replaced them at about 50% tread. The only set of Michelins I've ever owned that didn't hydroplane was a set of Hydroedges we put on Wife's previous minivan. PLUS I had to deal with the whole PAX fiasco on the wife's Odyssey ... which cost me several thousand dollars before I finally got rid of the stupid things. They are still stacked in my storage shed with about 70% tread. The Odyssey is now wearing Nokian Entyres. They also have a boring tread, but they are wearing well & are very quiet. I'm just done with the Michelin brand for a bit ... at least until I get over the whole PAX ordeal ... which may take awhile.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW I don't work for Michelin. I do run a tire store though.
I'm in Mid-Michigan and looking. I'm not sure I can wait for the Defenders to come out, my current tires are SHOT. I'm really thinking about going to Sams Club and getting another set of X-Radials but it seems I break cords in the them before the tread wears out. [The $70 off on 4 ends Sunday.]

Do you have any suggestions for me? I want an OMG long treadlife. Performance is no concern of mine. [I guess wet is a small concern, but I can throttle it back if it gets really wet.] I have dedicated snows, so that is also a moot point.

I'd be willing to travel to Ann Arbor...

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
you know, boring, like a set of hard compound dry on an f1. or 3 vertical channels on a set of f1 rains. great grip in the right conditions on straightaways and chicanes. can't afford a pit crew to swap out for the weather so it'll be 4 opposing bands of squarish(boring) treadblocks for dry and 3 vertical(boring) polished channels for water evacuation and noise reduction on my 205/55/16 94h xl load capable nokians(may they last forever!). great competitor for michi's highway tourers(boring yet capable too) in north america.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I opted for another set of x - radial's at the club store...I just couldn't wait for the defender to get my size.

I'll regret it I'm sure but I got four tires for 300 so I'll live with them.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix on AT&T, the worlds worst network, using Tapatalk

backhoeken

Veteran Member
Getting a set

Just saw one at the tire dealer,
I am looking to replace the factory set which have 71,000 on them. The tire place (very very reputiable - been using them for over 20 years) stated I should get between 90-100K all highway driving as got 71K on factory junk. Price out the door was 605 for the set.

One thing he mentioned is that they hardly need any balancing as all but a couple tires he has gotten has been perfect unless there is a issue with the rim. Apparently the people who have them love them, quiet, and good handling.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
They make a 195/65-15 and a 205/65-15, I wouldn't mind going size up to get my car a bit off the ground. Do others run 205/65's on their MKIV Jetta's?
Going to a larger diameter tire will change your final drive ratio which will effect the speedometer, odometer and may even give you worse mileage.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sure wanted to wait for the Defenders... but my old tires coudln't last that long.

I went with a 205/65-15... speedo is still about 2.5 mph slow at 70.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Well, I had a set of Michelin Primacys (MXV-4) on my '04 JSW. Loved them. But, my tire store only had the Defenders when I needed to pick up a couple of new ones today, so, I went with two of them today. On 15 minute drive, they seemed a little louder than the Primacys, but, hard to tell. They don't have as high of a speed rating, but 118 mph is plenty for me. The defenders have quite a bit longer mileage rating (to 90,000).

I had Energies on my o4 for awhile and even out here in the high dry plains the wet weather performance scared me. Had zero concerns with the Primacys while I had four of them on.

Guess I'll know more later.

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
Real Deal? Hope so! I just bought a set this weekend. Got a great deal on the Defender XT version at Sams Club.

So far I'm pretty happy with them. If they even come close to the 90,000 mile warranty I'll be pleased as punch.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did they have the proper load and speed ratings. There have been several threads since mine that said they did not have the correct speed rating.

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
Proper load, yea. Speed, no. Wouldn't overly worry about it.

VW recommends a 130mph tire for the Jetta and the Defender is rated at 118mph. The only way my Jetta TDI could hit 118mph is if I drove it out the back of a plane.

IF the proper speed rating worries you just get the Primacy MXV4, Energy, ... whatever. If you don't care get what you like.