**stuck**; inner-right CV joint boot swap. . .

need4speed

Veteran Member
A while ago, I noticed that my CV joint boot was torn. It is very close to the apex-side, (so the spinning of the axle does not pull grease out of the tear). . . but I realize that a torn boot needs to be replaced.
So, I have a replacement boot, and my shop manual, and I'm unbolting the old CV joint - and god what a horrible messy job - I can't get this inner CV joint to come off the boot. How do I get it to come off? I'm looking at the replacement boot, and it's just got this metal cuff that fits around the joint collar, so. . . I'm thinking, once I get the 6 bolts off, I should be able to just pop the joint out, slide the boot off the axle, and put the new boot in there, load it up with the grease, and bolt it back on. Isn't that how it works?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Are you trying to remove the inner CV joint with the drive axle (outter CV joint) still bolted through the wheel bearing hub, with just the 6 inner bolts removed so the axle drops down? If so, I have never heard of doing it that way. I think the axle needs to be completely removed from the car and put in a shop vice. There is a "C" clip that holds the innner joint on the axle and it must be spread a little to slip out of its groove and off the end of the axle. Then the inner CV joint should slide off. The inner boot retainer ring will just come off the inner joint with a good tap of a mallet or drift.

--Nate

Last edited:

need4speed

Veteran Member
Yes, I am trying to remove the inner CV joint with the drive axle still bolted through the wheel-bearing hub. Only the 6 inner bolts are removed. I can't get the axle to drop "down", of course, there's no clearance.

I *did* unbolt my exhaust from the turbo, to gain enough clearance to work at the circlip, and I was able to get that sucker off. Unfortunately, now I've damaged the cardboard gasket, so now I'm kind of committed to using the new one.

The shop manual says to "drift off" the CV joint.

Do I'm not sure about how the wheel comes off - will I need that special clamp tool? Any new single-use parts? I didn't plan this out well, I suppose. I'd rather just keep the axle in the car if I can.

Last edited:

the*rogue

TDI
2002 Jetta Auto now a 6sp, 1986 (Non-TDI) Jetta
The OUTERS need to be hit to remove. (NOT FUN) They are circliped.

The inners have a snap ring that allows them to be removed. You have to remove the outer metal grease shield to access the the snap ring. (screw driver/ very light tapping) Don't know if this can be done on the vehicle.

You may need to loosen the swaybar and/or ball joint in order remove/access the inner cv joint.

Be careful not to pull to hard on the outer joint. I've had them come apart on me. Then you have to repack/boot both sides..

Andy

Last edited:

thechocolateman

TDI
01 TDI & 86 IDI Jettas
I'm doing the same thing right now. I'm guessing you got yours figured out already, but for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread and has the same problem - the metal flange on the boot is sealed to the CV joint with sticky gasket stuff - you have to pry the boot off then scrape that crap off the joint and clean it up.
I, too, tried to replace my boot with the shaft on the vehicle... didn't work, there simply isn't enough clearance to disassemble the joint and clean it, not to mention it REALLY sucks trying to work under there. I went to a local parts store and rented a FWD hub puller to push my CV shaft out of my hub, and the rest was easy.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You need to remove the axle, don't try to do it on the car.

lbirunner

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Yes, when I replaced my axle I had to really hit the old one hard several times to get it to pop out of the hub.
I replaced the whole axle because I know what a pain it is to just replace the boot, WOW! don't ever want to do that again.
And the price of axles is real low, I think I paid $60 bucks for a refurb axle at NAPA.
The only problem is they want your old axle otherwise you have to pay the core charge. Can't remember what that was. I kept my old axle and paid the core charge. But still better that replacing the boot (inner and outer).

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Removing an axel it hard...?? Big brass hammer, a puller...trying to renew the cv joint under the car is not something I would ever try...and I have replaced clutches/engines/rear axel bushings/ gas tanks....taking it apart is hard because it has been stuck together, reinstall after working the part is the easy/fun part....good luck, working on any machine is difficult...it's the satisfaction after the reinstall that counts

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Those cheap, unbalanced, crappy built Chinese axles from NAPA and others are not good for TDI's. Better off rebuilding your VW shafts or sending them to Raxles for rebuilding.

lbirunner

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Those cheap, unbalanced, crappy built Chinese axles from NAPA and others are not good for TDI's. Better off rebuilding your VW shafts or sending them to Raxles for rebuilding.
Right, that's why I kept the old one, in case the crappy one doesn't work out. No problems yet, ~30k miles.

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Where the heck do you get a new clamp to snug up the boot to the axle? The idparts inner cv boot replacement kit does not come with one. I'm assuming the old one is destroyed when removing it?

All the cv boot clamps I have found at autozone, etc are too wide.

:confused:

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Never mind... I came across a post that says there is no clamp on the passenger side (A4). Coulda sworn I saw one when I was scoping it out!

What's the scoop with the weep hole?